Mercruiser 7.4 Replacement/Upgrade

Notices

Mercruiser 7.4 Replacement/Upgrade

Old 09-25-2021, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,472 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
A 260 sea ray probably uses a MerCruiser y pipe and through the drive exhaust.
I have a few customers in similar situations right now. Merc doesn’t offer a drop in non catalyst complete big block right now that I can find.
ya, my mind doesn't think cruiser, good point
Old 09-25-2021, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by CPFITNESS
i'm in similar situation to you i have a 1999 sea ray 260 sundancer that i just repowered with a used 7.4l "performance tuned" carb motor. finally got numerous issues sorted out with the drive, bravoitis, bad carb, bad fuel pump, bad sea pump etc. seemed like she was running great. took her out and ran good for a few hours than on the way home something went boom. blew out the ceramic part of the spark plug. now have low compression on 3 cylinders so i'm not in as bad of shape as you seem to be. Trying to figure out best upgrades to make if this motor can be rebuilt is making my head spin.

As for your situatino, a lot of people go to the 6.2/383 stroker and are very happy with that as a replacement, it has similar power to what you had before and less weight and will give you more room in the engine bay too. Of course, they are not cheap. If you plan to keep this boat for the long haul and are happy with it, it's worth it. You could also definately consider stepping down a bit in power and going with a 5.7 but i know nobody wants to feel like they are going backwards but that should still be a solid power plant for that boat. Its hard to come by 7.4l blocks and when you do they aren't cheap but there shouldn't be any reason why you can't just get a rebuilt block from somewhere and swap all your parts over to it.

those BRAND SPANKING NEW 6.2s look sweet though. if money is no object that route gets you 3 year warranty on the motor and could be worth the spend.

Champion plugs???
Old 09-25-2021, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CPFITNESS
i'm in similar situation to you i have a 1999 sea ray 260 sundancer that i just repowered with a used 7.4l "performance tuned" carb motor. finally got numerous issues sorted out with the drive, bravoitis, bad carb, bad fuel pump, bad sea pump etc. seemed like she was running great. took her out and ran good for a few hours than on the way home something went boom. blew out the ceramic part of the spark plug. now have low compression on 3 cylinders so i'm not in as bad of shape as you seem to be. Trying to figure out best upgrades to make if this motor can be rebuilt is making my head spin.

As for your situatino, a lot of people go to the 6.2/383 stroker and are very happy with that as a replacement, it has similar power to what you had before and less weight and will give you more room in the engine bay too. Of course, they are not cheap. If you plan to keep this boat for the long haul and are happy with it, it's worth it. You could also definately consider stepping down a bit in power and going with a 5.7 but i know nobody wants to feel like they are going backwards but that should still be a solid power plant for that boat. Its hard to come by 7.4l blocks and when you do they aren't cheap but there shouldn't be any reason why you can't just get a rebuilt block from somewhere and swap all your parts over to it.

those BRAND SPANKING NEW 6.2s look sweet though. if money is no object that route gets you 3 year warranty on the motor and could be worth the spend.
Thanks for the advice. A few people are telling me that it would be crazy to go from a big block to a small block and that I would loose performance given the weight of my boat. My boat weighs about 5000 lbs. It looks like it has better fuel economy though. I have read a couple of posts of people having issues with the 383s but that could be just some outliers or bad luck.

On the other hand I've heard great things about the Mercruiser 8.1 & 8.2 non cats. Not as fuel efficient but I wonder if that would be better performance wise and just a safer engine. I've had different issues within the last 3 years so Im leaning towards a new and reliable engine with a warranty.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 09-26-2021, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 381 Likes on 170 Posts

1 - Of all the people I have ever talked to that owned a boat, not one of them ever said “I wish it had a smaller engine, it just has too much power”

2 - “Fuel economy”
Buying fuel is the cheapest part of boat ownership.
The following 2 users liked this post by liberator221:
Eddienel (09-26-2021), Gimme Fuel (09-27-2021)
Old 09-26-2021, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 583 Likes on 295 Posts

7.4 or 502 and save yourself a lot of headache. Torque is your friend with that boat. A fresh 7.4 or 502 will get just as good of fuel mileage as all of the above give or take a mpg.lol Good luck in your search...
Old 09-26-2021, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddienel
7.4 or 502 and save yourself a lot of headache. Torque is your friend with that boat. A fresh 7.4 or 502 will get just as good of fuel mileage as all of the above give or take a mpg.lol Good luck in your search...
Okay when you say 502 are you referring to 8.2L engine? Is there any advantage over that than the 496 8.2L?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 09-26-2021, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 485 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd21
Okay when you say 502 are you referring to 8.2L engine? Is there any advantage over that than the 496 8.2L?

Thanks,

Scott
the 496 is a 8.1
Old 09-26-2021, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by AmiableDave
383 Stroker MPI 6.3L Mercruiser is your go to small block engine for the older 7.4L engines.. 350 HP and 390 Ft lbs of torque @3800 rpm. And you'll have a 10%+ gas savings.

Go to Mercurymarine.com to find a dealer in your area that is a qualified re-power center.
With this said and the 7.4 Lx Mpi making 370 ft/lbs torque the only specification you seem to be losing with ditching the BBC is weight while gaining hp and torque. Interested in eventually replacing my 7.4's and leaning the 383 route as well because I've yet to find the deficiency.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 485 Likes on 377 Posts

Not an exact comparison but pretty close
My 1995 Rinker 232 4800 lb with 300hp 7.4 carb, drive B1 and it has no problem pulling up 3 solemn skiers or much anything else

Been a few newer Rinker 232's with 5.7 and B3 drive over the years at my marina. Have talked to them over the years and every one of them say the same thing about getting up on plane. I'm assuming they were all 5.7 and not a 6.2 but they were EFI or MPI
Old 09-26-2021, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

the 496 8
1 is the red headed bastard step child of the boating world... You dont want that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.