Wiring head scratcher >

Wiring head scratcher

Notices

Wiring head scratcher

Old 09-11-2022, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 93 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Wiring head scratcher

I am in the process of restoring my 1985 Stepp Velocity 220. I want to redo the wiring in the boat as it is old and cracking and patched and just over all nasty. I am also putting all new Livorsi gauges in the boat. My question is. I have been looking at OEM and aftermarket wiring harnesses online and I'm not sure if I need a factory Mercruiser harness or Harden marine sells a semi custom harness for aftermarket applications. My boat will not be going back together factory stock, but I don't know how the Mercruiser 10 pin harnesses come from the manufacturer or if the semi custom harness from Hardin would be the better idea. TIA
Old 09-11-2022, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 447 Likes on 267 Posts

First advice to you would be to get a copy of the wiring code (colors) for marine, marine grade wire and start buying up your supplies. Use good grade zip tie, (Ty Wrap or 3M) black, adel clamps (SS with rubber insert). Draw out your wiring plus extra circuits for future use, you will need them. Lay out some plywood on your basement or garage floor and use that to build the harness, use the old harness as a template. Use extra wire length for every circuit and build in 2 to 3 repair's if needed down the road. Get in touch with Ron Francis Wiring (Street Rod wiring builder) to see how they do those. Hell, they might even build you one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Helmwurst:
Donnie D (09-11-2022), resurrected (09-12-2022)