Water pisser hook up Baja 290

Notices

Water pisser hook up Baja 290

Old 04-16-2024, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pisser hook up Baja 290

Hello all,

I'm new here! I have a 92 Baja motoryacht 290. I have completely redone the old girl over the course of the last 7 years. I built two nice 400hp small blocks. Unfortunately they are on alpha drives. I see a lot of off shore boats have some water pissers on the transom as a visual aide for water flow. I would like to add those to my cooling system because It would give me some peace of mind. I cannot seem to find any information where those are typically hooked up to in the cooling system.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks so much!

Tim

Old 04-17-2024, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 506 Likes on 279 Posts

I ran water pressure gauges for the engine cooling. The water discharge I ran out the side was the dump for the passive inter-cooler water system.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by resurrected
I ran water pressure gauges for the engine cooling. The water discharge I ran out the side was the dump for the passive inter-cooler water system.
Thanks for the reply! So where does your intercooler system get its water supply from? Does it have its own pump or is it fed off of the engine? I have a standard cooling system that would come on a 350. With water fed exhaust. Trying to pinpoint where I can tap into that without robbing any part of the engine of water.

Thanks again
Old 04-17-2024, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 448 Likes on 266 Posts

The pissers aren't for visual reference, they are for bleeding off excess water pressure used in conjunction with a pressure regulator. They are to keep from blowing intake and head gaskets at speed where water pressure is too high. If you would like to add some, especially on a 400sbc, I would tap into the rear water port on the intake manifold and run a -3 or -4 line through the transom. It might even help relieve some of the hot spots around the center cylinders that 400's are known for.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 506 Likes on 279 Posts

I used a second set of raw water pickups, no pumps for the inter-coolers. I didn't want them cooled while at idle.
The following users liked this post:
TZeli (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 08:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
The pissers aren't for visual reference, they are for bleeding off excess water pressure used in conjunction with a pressure regulator. They are to keep from blowing intake and head gaskets at speed where water pressure is too high. If you would like to add some, especially on a 400sbc, I would tap into the rear water port on the intake manifold and run a -3 or -4 line through the transom. It might even help relieve some of the hot spots around the center cylinders that 400's are known for.

Excellent thank you, that's good to know. I just hate the alpha One raw water pumps in the drive. I replace them every season but the housing has corroded around them before and I've lost water pressure. I plan on switching over to engine driven raw water pumps with pickups and strainers, but this will give me a little peace of mind for the time being.

I appreciate the input