28 Saber Wanted

Notices

28 Saber Wanted

Old 04-02-2022, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 447 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by meangene
Tex
I know where one is sitting in a warehouse right now, might be close to what you looking for...
Offshore will not allow me send you a private message or post a photo.
How can I contact you?
you need 10 posts to pm someone or post pictures
Old 04-02-2022, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 298 Likes on 179 Posts

Yeah I guess some contact info would be helpfull. Cell is 817-437-2516, text for email. Can send private message as well.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:20 AM
Registered

meangene got me fixed up and after a 2,000 mile round trip from Fort Worth to Tucson Arizona I am the new proud owner of hull #3, less power, the first 28 saber built with twin big blocks. Will post some pics when I get a chance and start a new project thread once I get going.
The following 2 users liked this post by TexomaPowerboater:
DrFeelgood (04-25-2022), TxHawk (04-27-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice…congrats. You thinking about converting to outboards? Single? Or putting twins back?
Old 04-27-2022, 02:56 PM
Registered

I'm going to put twins back in, but not sure what. Most likely whatever takeout I can find with low hours. Kind of leaning towards some 6.2's 350hp, but they are priced as much as big blocks and I've got enough to go with some 500hps but not sure it's worth the extra $10K.

I had never seen one of these boats up close, but it met or exceeded all my expectations. Really fine craftsmanship on all the parts used and glass laid. Love the lines and the flat deck is about as smooth and perfect as can be. Not sure if my old 28 Apache was just rode hard and put up wet, but this Saber is one year older and has nearly three times the hours on the meter as my old boat had and it is a better built boat, no question, but still need to see how she flies. These boat's are every bit as collectible as any other prized sport boat.

This boat has been sitting inside a warehouse in California under cover for 15 years. Story I got was the owner bought it in California with motor problems. Shortly thereafter another good running yellow 28 came for sale and the owner bought that one as well and ran it with original 454 310hps up until he sold it 2 years ago to a guy local in California who put in 509's and is now running around 100mph. The whole time the owner had collected parts to make this one his 100mph saber because it was in better shape and felt it was built a little tougher as it was the first 28 with twin big blocks made.

Old pic

Previous owners other 28 saber

Pic from seller

Pic from seller

Pic on way home

Previous owners other 28 saber
The following 2 users liked this post by TexomaPowerboater:
DrFeelgood (04-29-2022), RSCHAP1 (04-28-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 04:45 PM
Registered

Looks very clean. Mine was built very well (hull #2). In fact it was probably the only boat I’ve had that was built in the 80’s and was still dry. Entire boat was balsa cored also. I’m curious as to where your gas tank is located? Belly tank below cockpit floor or vertical tank behind back seat?
Old 04-28-2022, 01:30 PM
Registered

Default Got PINK!!

There are two 74 gallon gas tanks just in front of the main cabin bulkhead on each side and they sit on top of the stringers so you can literally see them taking up space inside the cabin and the cabin seats are shorter than later models. There is also an extra bulkhead in front of the tanks with the tanks sandwiched in between so they are short and tall. I think they thought the original twin big blocks were going to be a bit too heavy and decided to put tanks farther forward, but had read at least one other original owner had an original setup like this and requested they be moved to the back because it was too nose heavy........ya think? I may need to get some big blocks just to add weight to the rear, but won't be surprised if they will need to be moved to the back and I knew that before I bought the boat. Fortunately the old one's should be easy to remove. There is a big ski locker in the cockpit floor with a big stringer that runs from engine bulkhead to cabin, which I'm sure adds quite a bit of strength to the keel as well.

Old 04-28-2022, 01:40 PM
Registered

I alway's fall for the worst colors It's just not something I care about when I shop for a used boat. I am thinking might just change the grey to black and the pink to blue. Sure would like to have that extra cabin space where tanks are located and the helm desperately needs a foot well. When I sit down my knees are right up against the wall, but at least it's a padded wall.

The owner said he talked with Doug about this boat and he said first time out in rough water they went right thru a wave........ must of had a full tank...... Was thinking of just adding an extra tank in back and then keeping the two up front not that I need it to run drugs or anything, but I do have the bimin islands trip on my bucket list and I understand getting gas can be an issue. Could probably run there and back no problem with that setup.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:34 PM
Registered

I would probably run it how it is and see for yourself. If your not happy with the attitude drain the tanks and drop a fuel bladder in the ski locker. See if you like that better??? Then decide if you want to pull side tanks and permanently mount a belly tank. Or just run the bladder. A lot of space in the cuddy for a 28’ though. Good all around boat, your gonna like it.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 257 Likes on 103 Posts

i wondered where that boat went! that was Curt Gano's (spelling?) boat i always begged him to sell to me.

fun fact... that is a narrower bottomed boat than the later ones like mine. i think Doug said they felt with twins it leaned a little too much in hard turns.

i vote for keeping the original colors, it looks like a classic!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.