Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Saber
28 Saber Wanted >

28 Saber Wanted

Notices

28 Saber Wanted

Old 01-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 262 Likes on 104 Posts

my condolences to you and your family. my situation was similar, its never easy.

its winter up here, we are bored, post pics of your progress!
Old 01-14-2023, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 311 Likes on 183 Posts

Takeouts with less than 300 hours.
Old 01-14-2023, 11:23 PM
Registered

How do you post videos?

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 01-14-2023 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Attachment
Old 01-15-2023, 08:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,371 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
After a brief hiatus I am back full boar on the project. My father passed away in October after a short battle with Leukemia, all very unexpected. Was less than two months from diagnosis to passing. I worked with him for 15 years, we were very close.

Couldn't complete transaction on fresh 500HPs. Was lucky to find a good buyer selling a pair of low hour 2000'ish 502 Mag EFI's for a great price and finally got them this week. I am looking for some aftermarket exhaust manifolds if anyone knows of some available but can use stock ones until then. I figured I'll try out the 502 Mags and if I need more speed then I've got a good platform. Thank you to my friend Matt (TXHawk) for helping with shipping, he is an incredibly gifted boatsman and craftsman and offered to help again... as if my 28 Apache project about 15 years ago didn't take enough of his time.

I ordered a new swim platform from West Coast Offshore Unlimited (Aluminum Metal Products) and expect completion by February. I went with a high gloss grey to match existing grey stripes on the boat and got the newer modern version with slanted corners and moon patterns you see on most newer cigarettes. I've also found a mobile mechanic to move the project along faster.

I've coated the exposed wood in transom assembly cutouts and large thru bolt holes with resin to help preserve the transom. Removed the speedo and filled in holes since I wasn't going to use anyway and didn't want to have to clean around the wires if I didn't have too, looks a little cleaner too. Need to add some gelcoat to holes I've filled, buff the transom, and should be ready for transom assemblies by next week. I found a local custom painter that does imron and dropped off the outdrives and K-planes to strip and add a fresh coat of imron, which should be done by next week. Gears looked pretty good on the drives so figured I'd run them as is. Got lucky on transom assemblies, owner put in new HP gimbal rings that have yet to see water. Going to replace cables, fuel and hydraulic hoses. My boy is 8 and really getting into it all, always wants to help.

Thinking I'd like to get trimsync for drives and tabs because I think it makes it easier and safer to drive. Anybody have experience with trimsync?
Sorry to hear about your dad Andy, my condolences. I have drive sync on my tiger and its amazing, no fussing with our ocd to make sure the dots are lined up and Mike is great to deal with. Mine were done through mitch at MD offshore performance. I had trim sync on my 20, you can have presets on both of them that with the touch of a button the trims or drives will go to the presetting. on my 20 i had all down, neutral and full up, i would touch the button, full full down for planing, then hit it to go to neutral when it popped up. pm me if you want to delve into it deeper,also if your worried about porpoising and you have rocker you can spin props in and it will give you bow lift.

Last edited by offshoredrillin; 01-15-2023 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Sorry to hear about your dad Andy, my condolences. I have drive sync on my tiger and its amazing, no fussing with our ocd to make sure the dots are lined up and Mike is great to deal with. Mine were done through mitch at MD offshore performance. I had trim sync on my 20, you can have presets on both of them that with the touch of a button the trims or drives will go to the presetting. on my 20 i had all down, neutral and full up, i would touch the button, full full down for planing, then hit it to go to neutral when it popped up. pm me if you want to delve into it deeper,also if your worried about porpoising and you have rocker you can spin props in and it will give you bow lift.
Thank you and Saber for the condolences. I had thought about the race version of drivesync with the presets, but didn’t want to hassle with the plumbing involved, but do have the perfect spot for them under the drive and trim switches. Sounds like should probably get them. I do want to be able to let family and friends drive the boat at speed on occasion.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:30 PM
Registered

Default Pics of access to port and starboard tanks in cabin

Starboard tank access

Port side tank access

Old 01-15-2023, 08:32 PM
Registered

From the pics it seems these are 45 gallon tanks, not quit the 75 gallons that I was told. At least it won’t be as much weight.
Old 01-21-2023, 08:56 PM
Registered

Paint came out pretty good, hope it holds up

The following 2 users liked this post by TexomaPowerboater:
hotjava66 (01-22-2023), underpsi68 (01-22-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 513 Likes on 233 Posts

Looks nice,what kind of paint did you use?
Old 01-22-2023, 12:22 AM
Registered

Midnight black dupont imron with a shot of clear coat. Work done by Nath Specialty Coatings which is local to me. Wasn't cheap though..... cost me $1,400 and forgot to do the trim cylinders but included k-planes and rams, stripping of paint, and filling in the pitting of which there was a decent amount.

Found a deal on some new HP transom assemblies might pick up if I can get $2,500 each for mine. They are in good shape with new never used HP gimbal rings. Trim cylinders need touchup or paint. Pictures in the swap shop.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 01-22-2023 at 12:30 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.