How Fast?

Notices

How Fast?

Old 06-08-2005, 12:29 AM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: How Fast?

Congrats on the boat, you'll love it!! Are you running TRS' or Bravo's? That was about the time they were switching over to Bravo's, which is what are on mine. The 454 Magnums should top out at 5000 rpms.

Stock with 454 Magnums and Gil Offshore Exhaust, 3 blade Mirage props, I could get 63MPH with fumes in the tank, tail wind, running with the tide in a 2 foot chop. 60 was consistent and relatively easy. If you're running TRS drives, not sure what you can expect.

I completely agree with Gotime34, the boat's sweet spot/mid-range is about 42-44MPH at 3200-3300 rpms, where I cruise most often as well. The boat rides real nice in the rough stuff, guests don't get thrown around or think of those 5 scary words . . . . Oh My God, We're Going To Die!!!

I'm running a 4-blade 24p Bravo One prop now with a set of 502's.

Good luck with the boat.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 06-08-2005, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information. It sounds like I should switch to the quad 4's instead of trying to re-pitch my 3 blades. What is the best way to figure out the needed pitch? I have the Bravo drives and stock 454 magnums. After having the props tweaked at Houston Prop I am not sure how to compare them to stock and truthfully I am not sure what was done to them prior to my buying the boat.

I have the stock exhaust as well. Is there any secret to upgrades? I currently have the system that joins both sides of the engine into one 5 inch exit through the transom. With all the bends it looks very restrictive. What do you recommend for an upgrade and after looking at the costs of upgrades is it worth the $5K?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:10 AM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Test out different props, probably 22p and 24p 4-blades, and 23p 3-blade double cupped to start. You want to the engines to top out at 5000 rpms. Prop shops (i.e., Curtis Prop, Throttleup, Houston prop) might be able to do some math, best to work with them if you want to avoid the trial and error method.

I chose Gil Offshore Wet Exhaust and paid a bloody fortune for them, but that was almost 10 years ago. They still looked like day one inside when we bolted them to the 502's about 7 years later. Great quality & performance to go with a high price tag. They're not very internet savvy, dont respond to emails for tech support or help. Must call.

Up to you how much you want to spend, but there are some other good Gil type systems out there made by others for less (EMI, CMI, SS, etc.). If you plan to keep the boat a long time, get a new exhaust system like one of those.

Old 06-08-2005, 09:16 AM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

My 502's with the Gil's purchased back in 1996. Pulled them off the 454 Magnums when I upgraded the power package.
Attached Thumbnails How Fast?-91040032.jpg   How Fast?-91040034.jpg  

Old 06-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Mike J

Hello Neighbor I think, Are you on the Palmdale side
or the Victorville side of thr Hi-Desert???
I bought a place in Victorville area, A second home
and a fixerupper.
Perhaps we can plan a chat some time up there, I worked
at Team Scarab of and on for over 15 years.
I left them in 2000 and have been involved in other
brand Off-Shore race boats for the past years.
Mike J.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to set up a time to get together however.... I am in Boise, Idaho. High Desert is part of the brand of a company I own and the boat's name is High Desert Solutions. However, I frequent CA often and would love to meet others with knowledge of this type of boat regardless of make or model.

I am starving for information on this used boat I bought. Being in Idaho it has been difficult / imposable to get hooked up with a marina or knowledgeable local parts distributor. I am slowly learning, thanks to the help of many on this site, about the boat I purchased and any help is greatly appreciated.

I am also planning to attend some poker runs once the tow vehicle is completed. I bought a Freightliner, cut it in half, stretched it 13 feet and built a toterhome out of it. Once it is done the family and I will be able to get to some of these events. I just upgraded my membership so that should help with communicating feel free to email me directly.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Mike J

I know the feeling, When I left Scarab I said I was
going to drive till no one could say the Name.
Mike J.