Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
88 Scarab excell Stored for 2 years,what to do? >

88 Scarab excell Stored for 2 years,what to do?

Notices

88 Scarab excell Stored for 2 years,what to do?

Old 06-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Charter Member#1205
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Scarab excell Stored for 2 years,what to do?

I have had my Excel stored for 2 years and it was winterized, fogged, etc by a good shop.
I want to take it out the 4th, the gas has been in without a stable, but I've been told not to pump it out about 40 gal, unless it smells like terp and just to add some stable; and other than a new battery what should I do before I crank it on the hose.
Terry
Old 06-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Mike J

Talking Re: 88 Scarab excell Stored for 2 years,what to do?

Hello Terry, I have enjoyed all your movies...
Say Hi to your brother Phil for me....
Mike J.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Charter Member#1205
Charter Member

Default Re: 88 Scarab excell Stored for 2 years,what to do?

Wrong guy Mike, I don't do movies and don't have a brother Phil and I need input for my question.
Terry
Old 06-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Registered

I'm sure others will have better advise but I would change the oil & filter and impeller, and I do know that it will smoke like a mutha when you first start it since it was fogged. As far as the gas, I guess if it doesn't smell like terp, I would top it off and add stabilizer... Don't forget to cross your fingers and good luck!!!!
Old 06-15-2005, 10:20 AM
Registered

BTW- I would also change the outdrive lube.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would try to get tho old gas out .It sNot worth taking a chance if it has gelled or has water etc in it .

Good luck. Post some picks when ya get a chance

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:38 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

If only 40 gals or so, pump out the old fuel, no point in taking a chance like that. Once you get her started, heat it up and change the oil, fuel filter, impeller, check the plugs, etc., etc., etc.

I thought the Scarab Excel started production runs in fall of 1989 for the 1990 model year, then replaced by the Thunder in 1992?

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 06-17-2005, 08:42 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 988 Likes on 501 Posts

Heres what i did to my buddy's 28 cig after it sat for 8yrs outside next to a wharehouse.
First find out how much gas your tank holds.....if full then try and drain some off. Water sits on the bottom so this will help pull any water that may be in the tank out. Top off with fresh 93 octane and then for good measure i added 10% Tolulene to the mix to help bump the octane of the old gas. I also added a bottle of heat just incase there was any water in there as well. And change the fuel/water filter.
Next i drained all the old oil out....This includes changine the outdrive and in our case the trans.....i didnt even start it cause i have been told oil helps keep moisture off metal so we didnt take any chances incase there was any moisture in the pan. Fill the engine with the chepest oil you can find and a new filter.
I pulled the distributor out and i have a priming tool i made from an old distributor and primed up the engine till we had good oil psi.
I checked the filter at the carb on this boat just to be sure there was nothing in there and we started the boat up......let it warm up...making sure theres no leaks etc.....then changed the engine oil to the good stuff.
Then we changed the spark plugs and tested the wires to make sure they were ok. Cap and rortor replaced...
In our case since the boat sat for so long the carbs needed to be rebuilt....so off they went. we also changed the belts and a few hose clamps that apparently werent stainless and were rusting. The impellers were changed and the old ones kept for spares as they actually looked ok!!!
That was 5yrs ago and the boat runs like a top to this day!
Good luck

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Charter Member#1205
Charter Member

Thanks for all the help! All went well, I dragged the scarab out of the vinyl building that it was in after the snow finally melted around it.
I forgot that there was a separate push to trailer switch to raise the braVO , so I had to figure that out to get it on the driveway.
Then bought a new battery and was ready, it turns out that the company who winterized it put enough stable in the fuel and it was fine. I turned it over and it coughed. All the gas lines were very dry, cause of this desert atmosphere, so I shot some starting fluid into the efi air intake and it fired over perfectly! All the antifreeze flowed out and water followed.
No leaks and all is well. Can't wait to take it out to the lAke in 3 weeks!
PS the best investment was to have it winterized by a pro!
Terry