Notices

81 Scarab project from hell

Old 05-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottie150
Doug-
What I have left is the frame that has been chopped, because originally my plan was to use the existing framework and just cut it down. However, as you can see in the photos I ended up building a custom one out of aluminum. You are welcome to the frame pieces that I still have if you want them- also Straitjacket had a chopped windshield a while back, just another avenue to try. You can PM me if you want- or just call me at work 509-467-8185- ask for Scott the owner(we have two Scott's here) I might have the original side pieces left, the front glass broke coming out.
That aluminum windshield looks better than mine. I am jealous.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
That aluminum windshield looks better than mine. I am jealous.
You should be proud- you were the one that gave me the idea!! The windshield turned out better than I thought it would- its in the body shop now getting painted, along with my dash. I got the rubrail on this weekend(what a pain in the a$%) and I should get the trim pumps back this week which means I can start wiring and re-rigging this weekend. I will shoot some more photos when I get a chance.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

You should be proud- you were the one that gave me the idea!! The windshield turned out better than I thought it would- its in the body shop now getting painted, along with my dash. I got the rubrail on this weekend(what a pain in the a$%) and I should get the trim pumps back this week which means I can start wiring and re-rigging this weekend. I will shoot some more photos when I get a chance.
Good job. I hope everything starts smoothing out.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Registered

I got the rubrail on this weekend(what a pain in the a$%)

I wished you would have asked about the rubrail. That is a project you need some friends to help with....Mine was alot of work as well...did you use the same style and replace with new?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I looked at it again and it would have looked great finish sanded, polished and powdercoated in clear. You all ready have a black boat. Can you imagine the shine that you would throw acroo the water with a high gloss aluminum race fairing.

I am thinking about this for my next project now.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I got the rubrail on this weekend(what a pain in the a$%)

I wished you would have asked about the rubrail. That is a project you need some friends to help with....Mine was alot of work as well...did you use the same style and replace with new?
I updated to a new plastic rubrail with a stainless insert. And yes I roped a couple of friends into helping me (there is no way you can do that job yourself) It came out pretty good. I was being really picky until I stopped at the local dealer yesterday and looked at some other boats- they had a Fountain there that had a lot of wows and waves in it, which of course made me feel much better.

I have to still deal with the tanks- thats just something I haven't been to excited to deal with. I pulled out the teak and checked the wood and foam around the big coffin tank, and everything feels solid. I just have to drain both the tanks now- and somehow clean them.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

I updated to a new plastic rubrail with a stainless insert. And yes I roped a couple of friends into helping me (there is no way you can do that job yourself) It came out pretty good. I was being really picky until I stopped at the local dealer yesterday and looked at some other boats- they had a Fountain there that had a lot of wows and waves in it, which of course made me feel much better.

I have to still deal with the tanks- thats just something I haven't been to excited to deal with. I pulled out the teak and checked the wood and foam around the big coffin tank, and everything feels solid. I just have to drain both the tanks now- and somehow clean them.
Best way to clean the tanks without removing them may be to add whatever to the tanks you plan to clean them with (Acetone?) and then drive the boat around on the trailer and let it slosh around. Then suck it out, repeat, etc.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Registered

the new fairing looks real cool, great job. Do a search on fuel tank cleaning. several guys on the site have used different methods. I liked the method that used two filters and he kept circulating the fluid until it was clean.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Registered

the pros will cut a large hole in the top of the tank...They sell special plates to cover the holes later. Then you can suck out all the old fuel and depending on how dirty the tank is it can be powerwashed or just filtered. FYI the tank has internal baffles in it which make cleaning it that much harder.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Registered

Scott
How tired are you of climbing in and out of your boat??? When I redid mine I think I must have climbed in and out of her at least 10000 times. Most of those towards the end when I had to put all the pieces back together. Almost wish I had a kid to had me sh it I forgot once in the boat

Quick Reply: 81 Scarab project from hell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.