Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
81 Scarab project from hell >

81 Scarab project from hell

Notices

81 Scarab project from hell

Old 10-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it started finally yesterday- one down and one to go- pictures coming hopefully tonight-

Scott
Old 10-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Registered

Angry

I can see now why people buy new instead of old. After getting the engine running and in the process of tuning, the starter ring gear decided to give up, which happy happy joy joy I get to pull the engine again!!

I also have a problem with the seawater pump, it is leaking so I must have missed a gasket or something. Not only that, but my other boat decided to kill a fuel pump. Not having much luck with boats lately, probably should stick to motorcycles.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottie150
Progress has been really slow! Starboard engine is in- fighting all the minor irritating things that you have on any new engine(leaks, wiring, etc.) I will get pics soon- I just need 25 hours in a day!

I see your boat on Ebay- did you have any luck selling it?

Scott
Sold it last weekend without the engines.

Picked up the 32 panther that was out there for 11k. Picking it up tomorrow. It was not as advertised. It had a broken engine. It had a hole in the piston.

I am building two new 498's. Should be a pretty good boat.

I had all of those problems with my new engines and I even spent the money for a dyno tne before I put them in.

Stay focused, it will be all right.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
Sold it last weekend without the engines.

Picked up the 32 panther that was out there for 11k. Picking it up tomorrow. It was not as advertised. It had a broken engine. It had a hole in the piston.

I am building two new 498's. Should be a pretty good boat.

I had all of those problems with my new engines and I even spent the money for a dyno tne before I put them in.

Stay focused, it will be all right.
Thanks Jeff- let me know how the panther is going. My membership to OSO paid for itself ten times over last night, I did a search on starter problems, and found a couple of threads on the subject. Found out that the starter bolts are specific(never knew that) so I went down to the Chevy store and bought a couple just to try it. Stood on my head for a couple of hours changing the starter and it seems to be working fine!! Thanks OSO!! Thank you everyone who contributes to the board, it makes my life easier.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottie150
Thanks Jeff- let me know how the panther is going. My membership to OSO paid for itself ten times over last night, I did a search on starter problems, and found a couple of threads on the subject. Found out that the starter bolts are specific(never knew that) so I went down to the Chevy store and bought a couple just to try it. Stood on my head for a couple of hours changing the starter and it seems to be working fine!! Thanks OSO!! Thank you everyone who contributes to the board, it makes my life easier.
Panther made it home tonight. Engines are in the back of my truck, ready for tear downa nd a trip to the machine shop to get punched out. Dehumidifiers running to get it dried out after sitting in the rain for 2 weeks.

Going to start on it this weekend since I just got laid off today.

Anybody know of good jobs in TX?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Registered

yo Scottie- any updates?
Old 02-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Registered

Not yet- can't get to the boat with all the snow this year. We have record snowfall(3 to 4 feet) so I can't even get in my shop. As soon as the weather cooperates I will get back into it and finish it up. I will keep you guys posted
Old 04-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Registered

Ok- so the temp actually broke 65 today so I ran out of excuses of why I shouldn't work on the boat. So I got it out and started on the floor- got the framework done over the main tank, and cut some fiberboard to fit. Tomorrow I will hopefully get the fiberboard in. I was thinking I was going to have to pull the engine back out that I put in last year due to leaking issues, but after today I discovered very little oil in the bilge(and its been sitting for 6 months), so I think I will run it for now. While it was out I shot some pics- I will shoot some more tomorrow-
Attached Thumbnails 81 Scarab project from hell-p1000027.jpg   81 Scarab project from hell-p1000030.jpg  
Old 04-13-2008, 11:44 PM
Registered

some more- just for you Dave!!!
Attached Thumbnails 81 Scarab project from hell-p1000031.jpg   81 Scarab project from hell-p1000032.jpg   81 Scarab project from hell-p1000033.jpg  

Old 04-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Registered

and some more- here is a close up of the windshield. I have had a few people ask to see this up close- I am sorry it has taken so long but that is life in the Pacific Northwest!!!
Attached Thumbnails 81 Scarab project from hell-p1000029.jpg   81 Scarab project from hell-p1000034.jpg   81 Scarab project from hell-p1000035.jpg  

Quick Reply: 81 Scarab project from hell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.