81 Scarab project from hell

Notices

81 Scarab project from hell

Old 08-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel sending unit???

Scottie150 - did you ever replace your fuel gauge sending unit? I had mine out this past weekend. The unit works great - I can cycle the sending unit from empty to a full tank. My problem is a float that won't float! I wonder if there are replacement floats available? I am a little concerned about whether or not I could get one of the Livorsi sending units into my fuel tank. Scarab has the access hole in the tank right below the rear seatback bulkhead. Pain in the butt to get the stock unit out of the tank!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get a centroid unit.

http://www.centroidproducts.com/nintro.htm

Direct replacement for the old float type senders, no moving parts, and even built in water detection!

I have 2 and love them and cheap money too!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yo Scarab Brothers ..BEEN THERE DONE THAT !! LOOKIN GOOD GUYS !! New Power 600 hp 650 ftlbs
Attached Thumbnails 81 Scarab project from hell-100_0190-small-.jpg   81 Scarab project from hell-100_0133-small-.jpg   81 Scarab project from hell-502x2021-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Scarab3DMC; 08-06-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 502ss
Get a centroid unit.

http://www.centroidproducts.com/nintro.htm

Direct replacement for the old float type senders, no moving parts, and even built in water detection!

I have 2 and love them and cheap money too!
Thanks for the info! I called them today and need to check a couple of things on my boat before moving forward. Did you use the 2 or 3 wire sending unit?
Old 08-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarab31
Thanks for the info! I called them today and need to check a couple of things on my boat before moving forward. Did you use the 2 or 3 wire sending unit?
I used the 3 wire units but only because I was rewiring both boats when I purchased them. In your case you should be fine with the two wire so it's a direct replacement. Did you find the list of instruments that the 2 wire unit was compatible with? If yours isnt listed then I wouldnt imagine it would be difficult to run a power wire from somewhere to the fuel sender.

...Jim
Old 08-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarab31
Scottie150 - did you ever replace your fuel gauge sending unit? I had mine out this past weekend. The unit works great - I can cycle the sending unit from empty to a full tank. My problem is a float that won't float! I wonder if there are replacement floats available? I am a little concerned about whether or not I could get one of the Livorsi sending units into my fuel tank. Scarab has the access hole in the tank right below the rear seatback bulkhead. Pain in the butt to get the stock unit out of the tank!
No, not yet- I figure that's another project all to itself. I'm more focused on stupid little things like engines and trannys
Old 08-14-2008, 11:17 PM
Registered

Starboard engine started today- sounds really good, but I still have a leaky seawater pump. Anybody have any ideas where to get new ones without bending over?
Old 08-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by scottie150
Starboard engine started today- sounds really good, but I still have a leaky seawater pump. Anybody have any ideas where to get new ones without bending over?
Where is it leaking from? Where the case seperates? or is the housing cracked or something? I would imagine you can just buy a rebuild kit which should include new gaskets.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 502ss
Where is it leaking from? Where the case seperates? or is the housing cracked or something? I would imagine you can just buy a rebuild kit which should include new gaskets.
It looks like it is leaking from the where the case meets, but I can't tell. I have new impellors and housings, and it was leaking last year so I took them all apart and checked everything out- and I still cant get them to stop leaking. I have a nasty feeling the water is coming from the quad seal, which is the only part I didn't replace. Here is a dumb question- on the hose I have water flowing all the time, even when the engine is not running. Is that normal? Or should the water stop flowing when the engine isn't?
Old 08-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Registered

I am guessing you are testing all this out of the water right? So you have the water pickups plumbed into a garden hose or something. If the garden hose is on and the engine is not you will still get water leaking past the impeller, atleast thats been my experience, What I am not sure is if different pumps have different specifications so maybe some are designed not to let any water leak by. I did a few quick searches and a new pump is not cheap!

Quick Reply: 81 Scarab project from hell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.