81 Scarab project from hell >

81 Scarab project from hell

Notices

81 Scarab project from hell

Old 05-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scottie150
I don't think its fuel because the left engine runs fine.
Could still be fuel. You could have a piece of dirt in one of the needle vlaves in the carb. Backfiring in the exhaust could be a sign of a too rich condition. Did you completely drain the fuel system over the winter or at least put a ton of fuel stabilizer in it? The fuel of today is junk!

Is it a consistant condition where it backfires every firing cycle?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about your timing??
Old 05-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked timing- it is set @ 10 degrees advanced. Starts right up, runs good- just the backfire at idle. It is not consistant- or it doesn't seem to be. Cleaned the carb last night( thought it might be a vacuum leak, or plugged jet, no go.) Switched carb from other engine, ruled that out. I am going to buy a cap and rotor today, I will let you guys know what happens.

Thanks for all the input-

Scott
Old 05-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Registered

Checked timing- it is set @ 10 degrees advanced. Starts right up, runs good- just the backfire at idle. It is not consistant- or it doesn't seem to be. Cleaned the carb last night( thought it might be a vacuum leak, or plugged jet, no go.) Switched carb from other engine, ruled that out. I am going to buy a cap and rotor today, I will let you guys know what happens.

Thanks for all the input-

Scott
Is that the mark IV motor or the gen 6 motor If it the mark IV then you might need to re-adjust the valves.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 1,278 Likes on 620 Posts

So I was working on it tonight- trying to get it ready to watertest, and now the right engine keeps backfiring out of the exhaust at idle. It sounds like the right bank, I think it might be my distributor cap and/or rotor, any other ideas? I don't think its fuel because the left engine runs fine. Any advice would be appreciated-
Sounds like you have a valve problem. I had the same symptoms when I was breaking rocker studs and also when I had a lifter gain lash and didn't pump up. Pull spark plug wires one at a time until it stops popping to narrow it down to which cylinder bank is having the problem. You might just need to redo the rocker arm adjustment. I forget if you have hydraulic flat tappet or hydraulic roller. If not broke in properly with high moly content additives, I have seen flat tappets wipe out a cam lobe.
Jason

Last edited by Rookie; 05-01-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Registered

Well- putting on the cap and rotor helped quite a bit- but it still does it very occasionally at a low idle.(800rpm) I guess it could be a valve but I have hydraulic rollers- and it runs really good at everything above 800 rpm. If I set the idle at 1000 it never pops- kind of weird. I'm kind of leaning towards 502's thinking, because the gas is old- so I am going to mix in some race gas when I fill it up. One more question- should you use throttle return springs, and if you do, is there a trick setup out there I should look at? Thanks guys for all your input-
Old 05-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Is that the mark IV motor or the gen 6 motor If it the mark IV then you might need to re-adjust the valves.
The Gen 5- its been so long I can't remember!!!
Old 05-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Banned

Sounds more like u have a flat spot on the cam ,,and the intake valve gets hung up @ idle and at higher RPM u can't feel it because it turns to fast !!!!
Old 05-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by daredevil
Sounds more like u have a flat spot on the cam ,,and the intake valve gets hung up @ idle and at higher RPM u can't feel it because it turns to fast !!!!
But if that was the case- wouldn't it happen all the time? I mean it pops once every 3 or 4 minutes-
Old 05-02-2009, 12:44 AM
Registered

But if that was the case- wouldn't it happen all the time? I mean it pops once every 3 or 4 minutes-
Thats it...I thought you had a real problem

I have return springs on mine...Nothing fancy...just in case.

Quick Reply: 81 Scarab project from hell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.