81 Scarab project from hell >

81 Scarab project from hell

Notices

81 Scarab project from hell

Old 06-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by areyouliving
Damn Scottie thats a great looking console!
Thanks- its getting there. Jeff- good hearing from you- did you buy that 300 or did you give it back?

I got the old cable out and ordered a new one- got my hatch actuator today, so I have something to do this week while I am waiting for the cable. Of course now that I think about it, I always have something to do- its just whether or not I want to do it
Old 06-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Registered

Hey Scottie where is that video you promised me the other day?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Registered

And I got to see this boat in person and WOW!!!!! The pictures dont do it any justice. That paint is amazing. That boat definantly doesnt look almost 30 yrs old. Keep up the good work Scottie its gonna be bad ass when your done.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by areyouliving
Which controls are you guys running? I'm about to buy a set of KIEKHAFERS or how ever you spell it.
Mine are Gaffrig but look just like scotties!
Attached Thumbnails 81 Scarab project from hell-img_4384.jpg   81 Scarab project from hell-img_4320.jpg  
Old 06-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by capone550
Hey Scottie where is that video you promised me the other day?
Your not the only one he promised a video to!
Old 06-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Registered

I will get video as soon as I have something cool to shoot-
Old 06-12-2009, 06:06 AM
Registered

Scottie,

Nice boat. You have truly done what was once a common thing to build your own boat. Now everyone just buys them, go figure. The result is that less people know about their boats. I'd say what you have done is the modern approach to building your own boat. Nicely done. I just read the entire thread taking about 2 hours. I'm just glad you got 'er in the water by the last post. I don't think I'd be able to take the suspence!

What paint did you use?

For graphics on the hull, are they from Wellcraft?

Art
Old 06-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Art_H

What paint did you use?

For graphics on the hull, are they from Wellcraft?

Art
PPG Basecoat/ 7 coats of clear. Still have to clear over the graphics and buff the whole thing- but I have to give my boy Tommie credit- he laid it on so smooth it looks good now- should look like glass after we cut and buff. The downside to automotive paint is it is only good for 72 hours in the water- but I have owned the boat for five years and this is the first year it has seen water so I don't think it will be a problem

I never leave my boats in the water- I hate to clean-

The graphics were done by my friend, Ken Fuhrer, who does graphics for a living, and I believe they are similiar to the new Wellcraft logo- but changed slightly for copyright reasons.

Got the hatch actuator installed today- even did the wiring and it works!!! I know, I know, hard to believe, but its true.

Last edited by scottie150; 06-13-2009 at 11:47 PM. Reason: forgot to answer the graphic question
Old 06-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Registered

Update-

Replaced both engine wiring harnesses, replaced the starboard throttle cable, installed the hatch actuator and wired it, checked all the wiring, and rewired everything that was halfassed- pretty much buttoned everything up.

Pulled it out of the shop and hooked up water to test everything, port engine lit off and ran fine, good oil pressure, tach is still erratic. Starboard engine will not start. Turns over but no joy. Checked to see if I have spark, no spark. Rechecked all the wiring, its all correct. Swapped coils, still no spark. Checked to see I have 12V on the coil when turning the engine over and everything checks good- so I am down to the distributor, pretty sure its the module in the distributor. Parts run tomorrow- The joy of old boats....
Old 06-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scottie150
Update-

Replaced both engine wiring harnesses, replaced the starboard throttle cable, installed the hatch actuator and wired it, checked all the wiring, and rewired everything that was halfassed- pretty much buttoned everything up.

Pulled it out of the shop and hooked up water to test everything, port engine lit off and ran fine, good oil pressure, tach is still erratic. Starboard engine will not start. Turns over but no joy. Checked to see if I have spark, no spark. Rechecked all the wiring, its all correct. Swapped coils, still no spark. Checked to see I have 12V on the coil when turning the engine over and everything checks good- so I am down to the distributor, pretty sure its the module in the distributor. Parts run tomorrow- The joy of old boats....
Don't get frustrated! A project of this size is bound to have quite a few kinks! Stay positive!

Quick Reply: 81 Scarab project from hell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.