81 Scarab project from hell >

81 Scarab project from hell

Notices

81 Scarab project from hell

Old 06-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss

So what kind of horsepower do you think those engines are making?
Good question- 400, maybe 420 I really don't know. I can't lie because all you guys know what I'm running

I know it sucks fuel like a top fuel dragster though
Old 06-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Registered

ld be easier to work on outside. The other thought is to take it and have it media blasted, my friends tell me there is a place in town that does Corvettes so it is ok on fiberglass, and for the cost of labor and sandpaper vs. just starting over it's almost a wash. Anybody got any thoughts on this or have you done it? I am going to try and pull the lower unit off the port drive to send it out to weld- so I will shoot some more photos tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the input!!! [/QUOTE]
If you are going to have it soda blasted (less pitting) make sure you wash the whole thing with water and vinager and let it sit in the sun before you start any paint work......trust me the primer or sealer will blister
Old 06-26-2009, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scottie150
Good question- 400, maybe 420 I really don't know. I can't lie because all you guys know what I'm running

I know it sucks fuel like a top fuel dragster though
Mine should be in the 550 to 575 range so I can't wait to see what she runs for speed

Any videos yet! I am dying for a fly by video!
Old 06-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Registered

Mine should be in the 550 to 575 range so I can't wait to see what she runs for speed

Any videos yet! I am dying for a fly by video!
You are gonna need a lot of horsepower with those downriggers!!!!!
Old 06-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Registered

Default Media Blasting Vs Soda

SODA BLASTING IS THE ANSWER. HAD MY 29 MIRAGE OFFSHORE DONE AND IT HAD 20 YEARS OF BOTTOM PAINT. YOU WOULDN'T KNOW TODAY THAT IT WAS BOTTOM PAINTED.
LET ME KNOW AND I WILL SEND YOU SOME BEFORE AND AFTERS.
THE PROCESS IS SO GOOD BUT SO DELICATE THAT THE GUY THAT DID MINE SAID HE CAN STRIP PAINT OFF THE VEHICLE AND IT WILL NOT DAMAGE THE GLASS OR SEALS.

Basically the #1 piston was welded to the cylinder- which junked the block. It had so much rust on it I honestly thought the boat had been sunk. The weird thing is everything else is ok in the engine compartment( the transom, stringers, starboard engine). The starboard engine starts and runs fine- however it has a exhaust leak on the side that is impossible to get to, so I have pretty much decided to yank that one too-seems like it would be easier to work on outside. The other thought is to take it and have it media blasted, my friends tell me there is a place in town that does Corvettes so it is ok on fiberglass, and for the cost of labor and sandpaper vs. just starting over it's almost a wash. Anybody got any thoughts on this or have you done it? I am going to try and pull the lower unit off the port drive to send it out to weld- so I will shoot some more photos tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the input!!!
Old 06-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Registered

Hey guys an di am new to the forums and I am glad I chose this thread first. What an inspiration you all are. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Registered

Ha ha ha
Old 07-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Registered

Scottie - I hope your getting some good use out of that scarab! Did you get all the kinks worked out? Any video's yet?
Old 07-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Registered

Scottie - I hope your getting some good use out of that scarab! Did you get all the kinks worked out? Any video's yet?
Well..... I did get the foam for the rear hatch- and started shaping on it, not a easy or fun job. I still have quite a few things to fix- mostly stupid stuff like the hooking up the power steering pump- and tightening the starboard alternator belt, etc.

My plan this week is to take it out on the lake next weekend- so I have a reason to get motivated and fix everything. I will try to get some video so you guys don't think I am a complete loser

Quick Reply: 81 Scarab project from hell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.