Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 81 Scarab project from hell

More pics !!! please
Coming along nice...very nice.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 420 Likes on 280 Posts

Yup! Keep up the good work! Keep posting also!
Old 10-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currant photos after I got it back from the paint shop. Now I am waiting for the paint to cure before we can color sand and buff, and then apply all the graphics. I also need to sell some more blood to pay for everything.
Attached Thumbnails 81 Scarab project from hell-boat-1b.jpg   81 Scarab project from hell-final-boat-2-.jpg   81 Scarab project from hell-boat1a.jpg  

Old 10-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Registered

Looks like its moving along nicely.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scottie150
Basically the #1 piston was welded to the cylinder- which junked the block. It had so much rust on it I honestly thought the boat had been sunk. The weird thing is everything else is ok in the engine compartment( the transom, stringers, starboard engine). The starboard engine starts and runs fine- however it has a exhaust leak on the side that is impossible to get to, so I have pretty much decided to yank that one too-seems like it would be easier to work on outside. The other thought is to take it and have it media blasted, my friends tell me there is a place in town that does Corvettes so it is ok on fiberglass, and for the cost of labor and sandpaper vs. just starting over it's almost a wash. Anybody got any thoughts on this or have you done it? I am going to try and pull the lower unit off the port drive to send it out to weld- so I will shoot some more photos tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the input!!!
i have used a 10lb sledgehammer to remove pistons that were stuck like that .060 will usually clean the bore up. good luk with it, id think about all new exhaust so it doesn't leak and ruin a fresh bullit. good luck with it, rm
Old 12-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by stinger390
Mikey Fin....Were is the MV edition Scarab? I had bought one last spring, paid for it, and a day before the trucker was to pick it up for transport the owner decided he did not want to
" sell it" . It took a month to straighten everything out and get me money back. Even though I could have successfully fought it and won since I had paid for it, and he accepted the payment, but I did'nt want the hastles involved, and god knows what he would have done to it in the meantime.....
I was looking for 4 years for that boat, and found 1. Where did you find this one?

Boat was in Edison, NJ. I was getting screwed but I loved the boat. Wound up buying a much nicer Stinger 390 for 1/2 the money. I don't know, I just love the old 80's Miami Vice boats.....
Very late reply...excuse me.. The 38KV in question is outside US.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Registered

Keep the faith, it is all worth when you take your friends out for their first ride. My twin brother and I got a 79 32 Excalibur in April 04 with all the headaches you have encountered. The same rusted seized engines and half a part. We got it in the water this year ran ok but not to right. just found out bent valves. 3/4 thru the season we smelled fuel in the bilge end up being the fuel tank. So in a couple of months will start that project. you might want to double check your tank. Good Luck
Old 01-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just rebuilt my 1980 30' and have a few suggestions....
Replace the fuel tank now while you have it apart....Not an easy task but once it is out you gain access to all the stingers and you can refasten the floor the the stringers. Also if you have the teak deck i would seal it and build a floor...I did that to mine and it really tightened up the boat. Let me know if you want me to post pics of that. And finally if you are going to run center rise exhaust with the tru hull exhaust you are going to need to install 3" spacers. Also I made my 3" tips 4" tips so I did not have to install reducers. I HAVE ALL YOUR ANSWERS. My project from hell took a complete year.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Just rebuilt my 1980 30' and have a few suggestions....
Replace the fuel tank now while you have it apart....Not an easy task but once it is out you gain access to all the stingers and you can refasten the floor the the stringers. Also if you have the teak deck i would seal it and build a floor...I did that to mine and it really tightened up the boat. Let me know if you want me to post pics of that. And finally if you are going to run center rise exhaust with the tru hull exhaust you are going to need to install 3" spacers. Also I made my 3" tips 4" tips so I did not have to install reducers. I HAVE ALL YOUR ANSWERS. My project from hell took a complete year.
Post away- I have been trying to get out there and work on it some more but I am not that motivated at 20 degrees. I haven't even been able to get it out to take some new photos of the new graphics. I would be very interested to see what you are talking about- as far as I know my stringers and hull are all solid- but I have been trying to figure out what to do with the teak- I don't really care for it and the direction I am taking the boat it won't match.

By the way- mine is over a year- my wife reminds me of that all the time!!!

Scott
Old 01-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Registered

scotie, looks good to me, i know first hand it's tough to keep going sometimes, but your almost there. We probably wont get our's back for a couple more months. If you have the teak floor like i did ,you could put plywood in its place and then put non slip tile over that. Ive seen a couple boats that way and it looked really nice. Brian

Quick Reply: 81 Scarab project from hell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.