81 Scarab project from hell >

81 Scarab project from hell

Notices

81 Scarab project from hell

Old 01-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 81 Scarab project from hell

Here is a few to hold you over...I wish I could send them all at once. there is a shot with the new fuel tank installed. And the new floor installed. and the some glass work to stiffen up the engine comp....check out the pics. I posted of the finished project Scarab 30 S-type. Give me a call 6192031692 if you have any questions...my name is Eddie. My project nearly cost me my wife.
Attached Thumbnails 81 Scarab project from hell-scarab-rebuild-041.jpg   81 Scarab project from hell-scarab-rebuild-018.jpg   81 Scarab project from hell-scarab-rebuild-044.jpg  

Old 01-26-2007, 01:21 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by scottie150
Well here is the latest update- I got a quote yesterday for soda blasting the upper deck and the hull $2200 ouch! I can buy a lot of sandpaper for that. I don't consider myself cheap but that seems like an awful lot for what I need done. I also got the exhaust manifolds back and repainted them, and sent the intake manifold and engine mounts out to be stripped. I took some photos but I probably won't get them up until tonight.

AZ Lineman- yes, I think I am going to keep the arch- I think it kind of updates the boat a little bit. I am also thinking about getting rid of the glass and teak and do something different.
Look how mine was done. Carpeted over the teak, Cabinets were rebuilt in the cabin using corion, and paint everything else white.

jeff
PS. I added pic of boat in the water to keep you project guys motivated. March will be here soon.

Yes sandpaper is cheap. I started stripping a car once, that way, and 4 months later I still had to end up sending it to the blasting shop. $2200 is sheap when you start looking at how much time it will take.

EDIT,

Didn't realize how far behind I was. Nice paint job. Guess you gotit figured out.
Attached Thumbnails 81 Scarab project from hell-6.jpg   81 Scarab project from hell-8.jpg   81 Scarab project from hell-scary-mary-1.jpg  

Last edited by jeff1000man; 01-26-2007 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Moron
Old 01-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
Look how mine was done. Carpeted over the teak, Cabinets were rebuilt in the cabin using corion, and paint everything else white.

jeff
PS. I added pic of boat in the water to keep you project guys motivated. March will be here soon.

Yes sandpaper is cheap. I started stripping a car once, that way, and 4 months later I still had to end up sending it to the blasting shop. $2200 is sheap when you start looking at how much time it will take.

EDIT,

Didn't realize how far behind I was. Nice paint job. Guess you gotit figured out.

Jeff-

Very, very nice job!!! If mine turns out half as good as yours I will be very happy.

Is that your original windshield? We are currently in the mock up stage on mine(chopped it) but I can't decide if I want a black windshield or I should just build something like yours.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by scottie150
Jeff-

Very, very nice job!!! If mine turns out half as good as yours I will be very happy.

Is that your original windshield? We are currently in the mock up stage on mine(chopped it) but I can't decide if I want a black windshield or I should just build something like yours.
Actually the windshield is built out of aluminum. Has 1.5" angle frame around top and bottom. Flat 1/4" plate was welded around outside. Ground smooth, bondo and paint to match.

Also doesn't break when the fat ass climbs on to the bow.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Just rebuilt my 1980 30' and have a few suggestions....
Replace the fuel tank now while you have it apart....Not an easy task but once it is out you gain access to all the stingers and you can refasten the floor the the stringers. Also if you have the teak deck i would seal it and build a floor...I did that to mine and it really tightened up the boat. Let me know if you want me to post pics of that. And finally if you are going to run center rise exhaust with the tru hull exhaust you are going to need to install 3" spacers. Also I made my 3" tips 4" tips so I did not have to install reducers. I HAVE ALL YOUR ANSWERS. My project from hell took a complete year.
Did your fuel tank take up all the space under the teak floor, and a bunch of space under the rear seat? I haven't looked that close at mine yet- but I thought it was only under the seat- but looking at yours I may be way wrong. When you reinstall the tank did you use blow in foam to help secure it? Any other tricks I should know about? Thanks, Scott
Old 02-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
Actually the windshield is built out of aluminum. Has 1.5" angle frame around top and bottom. Flat 1/4" plate was welded around outside. Ground smooth, bondo and paint to match.

Also doesn't break when the fat ass climbs on to the bow.

Thanks Jeff- post some more pics of your boat when you get a chance, it helps motivate me when I look at mine.

Westcoast- your boat is awesome too!!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Registered

The fuel tank does take up the the entire space from the cabin back to under the back seat....It is 7 or 8 ft long. When you pull it out it looks like a coffin. Once the new tank was in place I used 2 part pour in foam. Tricky stuff.
The main reason I got rid of the teak floor is because water would leak on top of the tank. Which caused the old foam to rot. NOTE: changing the fuel tank was one of the hardest tasks of the rebuild. Give me a call if you need details. It is a very tight fit. I had the new tank made to the same size only thicker. Also zinc primed and painted the tank to make it last another 25 years.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Registered

Default new pics-

Here are some pics I took with my phone when I was finally able to get it out of the shop. It has been raining or snowing non stop around here for 4 months! I took some better ones on my wifes digital camera- I will try to post those in a couple of days.
Attached Thumbnails 81 Scarab project from hell-photo_021707_001.jpg   81 Scarab project from hell-photo_021707_002.jpg   81 Scarab project from hell-photo_021707_003.jpg  

Old 02-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 449 Likes on 297 Posts

did not like the color much at the beginning but now I think it's looking great!
Old 02-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Registered

Looking good...Keep the faith

Quick Reply: 81 Scarab project from hell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.