Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Going to look at this Scarab III, your thoughts? >

Going to look at this Scarab III, your thoughts?

Notices

Going to look at this Scarab III, your thoughts?

Old 04-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Going to look at this Scarab III, your thoughts?

That boat was for sale before august last year. I looked at it online around may/june 05.

I dont think its that bad of a buy. My buddy bought his scarab III last july for 31k with trailer. It is an 88, trs, b/w trannies, and Id say its in average shape. it has hopped up 370HP motors with roller rockers, bigger cams. Runs about 60. Good rough water boat.

So many people bash boats that are older. As long as its been properly cared for, I dont see anything wrong with buying an older boat. I bought my 1982 Excalibur Hawk 40 last summer and its been cared for, but its never been thru a major overhaul. I put about 50 trouble free hours on it last summer. I paid 25k for the boat and trailer. Where are you gonna find a complete turn key 40ft offshore boat for that kind of money.

About this particular scarab, If you like the boat, get a survey done, and start out around 18-20k. IMHO, thats a lot of boat for 20k if it passes a survey with flying colors. Roomy cockpit, good rough water boat, good looking, and fully depreciated.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by hunster
The boat is 20 years old! The motors have been messed with. Those look like car intakes. 530 hours probably not on them. If they are over 500 hours they are probably tired. The guages and dash are old and busted looking. I hate those morse controls. Not much more money would move you up a decade but what the heck do I know , I pimp rides for a living.

Am I missing something? The dash did not look busted up? If he wanted to but a newer say 98 33ft scarab, which is quite a bit smaller than this 34, he would be paying quite a bit more than 20-25k. Probably like 30g more.

I agree the morse contols suck, but it would not blow the deal for me. There are lots of used twin gaffrig and kiekaefer setups for a couple hundred bucks out there.

Find out more about the motors. Lots of times brokers will list what the hour meters read as engine hours. It may be possible that the boat itself has 500 hours on it, but the motors may have been rebuilt or replaced. Those valve covers came on the HP merc motors, and I believe the 400 cyclone was the only one that came with quadrajets and those valve covers. The 420hp, 425hp, 440hp, and 460hp 454's of that vintage came with holley 800's i beleive. So I would defintily find out more about the engines and whats been done. Again, a leakdown test and compression test is a must.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 294 Likes on 101 Posts

Mild did you see the pics i posted in the wanted section in that thread that you put up on speedwake. if your friend is still in the market its worth a look.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )