New guy here....Buying first Scarab

Notices

New guy here....Buying first Scarab

Old 06-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here....Buying first Scarab

Hey Guys,
I'm in the process of buying a 1996 22' scarab.It has a fresh 502/502 GM crate motor with about 50 hours of use.The motor is also procharged running 6lbs of boost.The boat has imco steering,trim tab,all the good stuff.I've owned two Concord LS7's but this is my first Scarab.The boat is in immaculate condition with very, very minor wear.
My question is are these hulls designed for 600hp? Will there be any issue I'll be dealing with? How will this boat behave with this kind of power?Could you also tell me what this boat might be worth as well.
Any/all input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:18 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: New guy here....Buying first Scarab

Welcome to the board. Glad to see you ponied up and purchased a membership. Money well spent IMO.

I've never owned a 22', but have owned a 26' Scarab. I won't be much help unfortunately. Do a search and type in 22' Scarab. I bet you will find a wealth of info on your boat.

Good luck...

Buck
Old 06-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Registered

WELCOME PROSTREETER
Old 06-27-2006, 10:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Prostreeter, I am looking for a 29 Scarab myself and have found the threads here unbelievable.... has helped me get through the "sales pitches" and made me a more informed buyer. Good luck withthe hunt
Old 06-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

600hp Should Not Be A Problem Just Do Not Launch The Boat And Reenter With A Lot Of Throttle This Will Tear Up The Out Drive. I Would Say That This Boat Should Do Low 80's So Make Sure That The Imco Steering Is In Good Condition. Good Luck And Welcome To The Board.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Registered

Thanks for the welcome and repies.
I'm picking up the boat on friday and use it at our locale lake on sunday.I cant wait to see how this scarab runs.I've had fast boats in the last few years but not with this kind of HP.Still wondering what you guys think this boat is worth.I negotiated the price down to 20k.
The motor alone verified with a receipt was 8299.00 and the procharger another 3k.
I feel comfortable with what I paid for it.Will let you all know how it runs.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Registered

Cool Re: New guy here....Buying first Scarab

This looks like a good thread for new scarab owners. Just bought my first Scarab also. Here's the deal...1989 38 excel, 650 Cobra motors, hyd steering, Huber Transmissions, stellings big tube headers. Here's the only draw back...TRS drives. Question...how long until I blow a drive or do you all think I'll be fine if I baby it?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: New guy here....Buying first Scarab

Welcome to both new members ! The perfect place to get your questions answered. There is alot of info. on this site.As for all of the horsepower, just remember,you have to PAY to PLAY !!!!!!!!!! Enjoy
Old 07-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Registered

Well I drove 700 hundred miles one way to pick up my new 1996 scarab in Blue springs,Mo.
What a flippin joke.First off let me explain I discussed this boat at length with the owner,viewed emailed pics,studied his receipts and verified same.Before I left last friday morning I called the owner again and said,will there be any supriese about the boat.He said no,it's perfect.I said again,it's a long drive out to Missouri to be disappointed and pissed off all the way home.He said nope,when you see the boat you'll want it.
Well I met the guy at the marina and the boat was on the trailer.Lets just say I was more than disappointed in just the appearance of the boat.The boat was a flithy mess.The interior was piled with leaves and crap! Well OK I can over look that as I can clean it up.
We took it out on he water and nothing worked.Trim tabs,trim up and down,speedo,stereo none of that worked.
5 minutes into the test drive the alarm went off and water gushing into the engine compartment.He thought it was the sea pump,I dont think so.I couldn't tell where it was coming from but it was'nt the sea pump.This moron limped the boat back to the dock and engine temp was 245 degrees!
I'm back home now and yeah,I'm pissed.Never,every will I travel out of state to buy a boat.Thanks for listening to my rant.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm back home now and yeah,I'm pissed.Never,every will I travel out of state to buy a boat.Thanks for listening to my rant. Prostreeter

I was looking at a 29 Single that popped up on BoatTrader this morning. It look great (of course in the pics like yours) that is in Colorado. the price seems right and is a fresh water boat. I was calculating the mileage and time .. almost 20 hours of driving ONE WAY. After reading your post today, I think I will just stick with Texas and close to the border Okla, You just never know. With losing three days vacation and gas at $3 / gallon it just might not be worth it.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/9/84820099.htm

Quick Reply: New guy here....Buying first Scarab

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.