Anyone else with a 26' Scarab >

Anyone else with a 26' Scarab

Notices

Anyone else with a 26' Scarab

Old 08-26-2006, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else with a 26' Scarab

I'm tring to find out if anyone else has played with perfomance mods. Best prop for 502, set-off boxes,shorter lower unit, hull modification, etc.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else with a 26' Scarab-boats-016-small-.jpg   Anyone else with a 26' Scarab-boats-015-small-.jpg  
Old 08-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Re: Anyone else with a 26' Scarab

Curious what your last boat was and how you like her? I'm looking at 29's right now moving up from a Donzi 18 Classic.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Registered

I am in the process of purchasing the exact same boat as shown in the pic, the deal should be complete in 2 weeks. The one i am purchasing has a stock 502 with a procharger i ran it up to 4700 rpm and was running 70 on gps i got a lil scared and backed off. I am going to change the exhasust as soon as i get it and was wondering if anyone has suggestions as far as namebrands. I will be posting pics etc as soon as i get it thnaks brandon
Old 09-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I owned the very same boat for three years. Colors and motor were exactly the same.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buck183
I owned the very same boat for three years. Colors and motor were exactly the same.
Myself as well. 3 years in fact. It's a great boat for the price. I did change my graphics and need to do so again.

First thing lose, the factory exhaust all of it, get some head work done, turn them into real high performance heads, inconel, titanium etc. I haven't played with prop yet.

Originally Posted by scarabsc
i ran it up to 4700 rpm and was running 70 on gps i got a lil scared and backed off. I am going to change the exhasust as soon as i get it and was wondering if anyone has suggestions as far as namebrands. I will be posting pics etc as soon as i get it thnaks brandon.
I know that feeling about 70, the boat does get alittle loose, at least mine does. I chose Gill Offshore for exhaust and Hardin Marine risers and Hardin marine switchable mufflers. The sound awesome and delivers a lot of torque.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by satisfactionII
Myself as well. 3 years in fact. It's a great boat for the price. I did change my graphics and need to do so again.

First thing lose, the factory exhaust all of it, get some head work done, turn them into real high performance heads, inconel, titanium etc. I haven't played with prop yet.
Ditto...changed my graphics too. There were just a little much for me. Also had the cushions in the cuddy recovered with tweed. The factory looking material looked like a box of crayons puked on it to me.

I too agree on the exhaust. Mine didn't even have thru hull. They were diverted to the side and ran through a big canister. Hated that thing.

I always felt like Wellcraft could have put more thought into the cuddy area. Would have been nice to have a couple of benches down there to sit on. Storage was almost non-existent IMO.

All complaining aside I did like the boat. I got my money's worth of it. Didn't get my butt handed to me on resale. Overall I have no regrets having owned that boat.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto...changed my graphics too. There were just a little much for me. Also had the cushions in the cuddy recovered with tweed. The factory looking material looked like a box of crayons puked on it to me.
Yup, when my orange faded to pink it was time go. That pink chit was too girly. And that interior stuff ... a pattern that on Ray Charles could like.

I too agree on the exhaust. Mine didn't even have thru hull. They were diverted to the side and ran through a big canister. Hated that thing.
I had the same .. nice and quiet. . I heard they were reversion prone but when I changed them out the heads were fine except for weak valve springs, I could compress them by hand. Engine had 374 hours when I had the heads rebuilt.

I always felt like Wellcraft could have put more thought into the cuddy area. Would have been nice to have a couple of benches down there to sit on. Storage was almost non-existent IMO.
Stabbin cabin only.

All complaining aside I did like the boat. I got my money's worth of it. Didn't get my butt handed to me on resale. Overall I have no regrets having owned that boat.
I hope when I sell mine next year I come out even and I will be happy.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by satisfactionII

I removed the dash panel and had it dyed red. It was a nasty, faded, purple color. Then I installed a set of Livorsi II platinum series gauges. Looks a ton better.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Registered

Look at my previous post from 6-16-06 and you'll see what I did with mine in order to run silent choice to the red cannisters. Or you can go back to the June thread"exhaust options" under the Scarab forums.

Last edited by chaineddown; 09-18-2006 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chaineddown
I'm tring to find out if anyone else has played with perfomance mods. Best prop for 502, set-off boxes,shorter lower unit, hull modification, etc.
I had a 1998 with a 502 Mag after doing some minor things I got it to go 69mph on light fuel. I have found the hull bottom on these boats to not be very flat so I blue printed the bottom. Also you will have 2 large hooks in the hull at the outer edge at the transom. Sharpen the transon edge and the strakes too. I removed the windshield and gained 1 mph easy. I had the heads re built and added Stainless marine exhaust for another 2mph. No muffler and straight through the transom. That water muffler exhaust is horrible. Since this boat is not built with stringers it is hard...very hard to add traditional hydraulic steering. Also keep an eye out on the engine mounts.
Enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Anyone else with a 26' Scarab

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.