30 ft s-type >

30 ft s-type

Notices

30 ft s-type

Old 04-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaxx 30
Have you had any problems with the trs drives?
None...the drives have been real good to me.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will possibly be getting a scarab 30 from another member of this forum. I was talking to another boat guy and he bad mouthed the trs up one side and down another. You seem to like yours-do the trs drives have a bad rep? I saw you have 454's in your scarab-are you satisfied with them?
Old 04-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Registered

I will possibly be getting a scarab 30 from another member of this forum. I was talking to another boat guy and he bad mouthed the trs up one side and down another. You seem to like yours-do the trs drives have a bad rep? I saw you have 454's in your scarab-are you satisfied with them?
If I had tons of money I would love to have bravos and 540's or konrads and 540's but I am just a working man and that chit cost lots of money. The 454's run great and are low maintence. The TRS's also are low maintence however if you break one you need to spend some money to get them fixed right...The weak link in the boat is the merctrans transmission. I have one side that is original and the other side I have done twice.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Registered

Unlike many in this forum, I too am a working man and yep that stuff is big money. I am new to the boat thing and it really suprises me how much power you have to put out to get 60+ mph, thats why I asked if you were satisfied with the 454's in the hull that you have. For my cars I have always built my engines and 454 stuff is really easy to get and build. I figure for boats I just have to get my power down low and not at 7000+ rpm. You have a really nice boat.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Registered

Received 1,249 Likes on 604 Posts

jaxx 30
I would not be scared to buy a TRS boat. They are better than a non-modified Bravo. I lost an upper 2years ago, but that was my fault. They take 3 qts of oil not 1.5 qts. oops!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...vo+speedmaster
Old 04-02-2008, 01:08 AM
Registered

It seems ther are many happy trs boat owners here. What makes it nice is that Westcoast's Scarab 30 is almost EXACTLY like what I'm looking at. So what works for him should for me as well. If I get the boat, I would be looking into building 496's or talldeck 535's for it. Being a working man, I can't see paying someone else to build my engines. Think of what you pay when you have someone else do your work...............I don't have that kind of cash. From what I'm seeing on this forum, the trs drive may be able to handle the 496/535 if i'm carefull. I could be wrong.................
Old 04-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Registered

It seems ther are many happy trs boat owners here. What makes it nice is that Westcoast's Scarab 30 is almost EXACTLY like what I'm looking at. So what works for him should for me as well. If I get the boat, I would be looking into building 496's or talldeck 535's for it. Being a working man, I can't see paying someone else to build my engines. Think of what you pay when you have someone else do your work...............I don't have that kind of cash. From what I'm seeing on this forum, the trs drive may be able to handle the 496/535 if i'm carefull. I could be wrong.................
The drives will handle that kind of power...the merctrans might not hold up. For the bigger power motors merc sold the borg warner tranny. That locates the moters about 4inchs further fwd. Good luck with your new boat. Let me know if you have any questions at all. FWIW my boat will hit 60mph on gps with the stock power.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Registered

On this type of hull don't you want as much weight to the rear as possible? Is there a "center of gravity" like in aircraft? Is the hull so heavy that is does not matter if the engine are moved forward? What can I say-I don't know much on boats but this thread has sold me on the scarab.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Registered

Hey Westcoast, I forgot to ask if you have hydraulic steering. If so what do you have? Are your trim tabs stock?
Old 04-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 1,249 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
FWIW my boat will hit 60mph on gps with the stock power.

And to add to that my Panther hull is not much different than Westcoast's hull, and mine would run 71gps all day with Merc 425's and TRS's. We'll see what 600hp will do this summer.

Quick Reply: 30 ft s-type

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.