22' Scarab, or Baja 20' Outlaw? >

22' Scarab, or Baja 20' Outlaw?

Notices

22' Scarab, or Baja 20' Outlaw?

Old 09-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts
Default 22' Scarab, or Baja 20' Outlaw?

I'm looking for opinions on the 95-98 Scarab 22', vs. the Baja 20 Outlaw. I think the overall length of either should be pretty close, which is a big deal for storage for me, but I'm looking for opinions on why I should choose one over the other (I'm assuming I'm going to hear that the Scarab is the better choice in this forum, but I'd like to hear some reasoning as to why -- build quality, rougher water handling, etc -- and yes, I know that neither is a rough water boat.)

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned a 22' Scarab (1995 w/7.4 carb) and loved it. Probably the most reliable boat I ever owned. My friend had the 20' Baja ( i think it may have been a 20.5?) and he had it for a year and sold it and moved up to a 38' Special.I personally like the Scarab............Mike
Old 09-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used to have a 1998 22' Scarab. The boat wasnt happy going much over 75mph. I do know where there is a very sick 20 Outlaw for sale http://www.speedwake.com/newclassifi...uct=448&cat=35

I would deffinitly check this boat out
Old 09-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Unitek
I used to have a 1998 22' Scarab. The boat wasnt happy going much over 75mph. I do know where there is a very sick 20 Outlaw for sale http://www.speedwake.com/newclassifi...uct=448&cat=35

I would deffinitly check this boat out
You sure that's a 20? cabin looks huge.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:54 PM
Registered

Your right the cabin does look huge,especially being 2' shorter than the Scarab.Although I see the Baja doesn't have an integral swimstep so could come out to about 22' total.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael Garibay
Your right the cabin does look huge,especially being 2' shorter than the Scarab.Although I see the Baja doesn't have an integral swimstep so could come out to about 22' total.
Yeah, seems like the difference is minimal, because the 22 Scarab gets the integral swim platform counted in its length, the Baja's platform is bolted on. The Baja forum guys say 21' 11" for overall length.... kind of a wash there.

Last edited by DrFeelgood; 09-14-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:27 PM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by agchoset
You sure that's a 20? cabin looks huge.
That is either a 24 Outlaw or a 240
Old 09-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default think long term

If you're looking at the newer 20' Outlaw versus an almost 10-year-old Scarab, one thing to consider is the age of the materials in the Scarab as opposed to the Baja. I owned a 22 Scarab and loved the boat, but it had the old-style plywood floor with glued-down carpet over it. Depending on how many times that got wet through the years, you could end up with soft spots in the wood and possibly have to replace the floor. The 20 Outlaw, on the other hand, if I'm not mistaken, should be built with a fiberglass liner that's integral to the deck. And fiberglass can handle getting wet better than wood. Finally, with a newer EFI motor, it should be more hassle free. You're right about both being about the same length on the water.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rolling writer
If you're looking at the newer 20' Outlaw versus an almost 10-year-old Scarab, one thing to consider is the age of the materials in the Scarab as opposed to the Baja. I owned a 22 Scarab and loved the boat, but it had the old-style plywood floor with glued-down carpet over it. Depending on how many times that got wet through the years, you could end up with soft spots in the wood and possibly have to replace the floor. The 20 Outlaw, on the other hand, if I'm not mistaken, should be built with a fiberglass liner that's integral to the deck. And fiberglass can handle getting wet better than wood. Finally, with a newer EFI motor, it should be more hassle free. You're right about both being about the same length on the water.

Hope this helps.
That helps a whole lot, I was wondering about the carpet issue, actually. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Registered

are we talking a new outlaw (02-current) or the previous generation? because the newer style has a 21 degree deadrise (previous was 20 degree) and gained 300lbs. I'm not sure on the weight or deadrise on the scarab, I think the scarab might be a little heavier. IMO the scarab hull has a little more of the "mini offshore" look over the OL so pushing the nose down with some tabs in the rough stuff might net a better ride...but that's just an obeservation/opinion.

Quick Reply: 22' Scarab, or Baja 20' Outlaw?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.