Bought a Scarab 22 >

Bought a Scarab 22

Notices

Bought a Scarab 22

Old 10-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 972 Likes on 442 Posts
Default Bought a Scarab 22

Yesterday, I put down a deposit on a '98 Scarab 22. 7.4 carb, Bravo 1. Cosmetically in very nice shape, new upholstery throughout (pearl white with red and blue trim), new heads and Stainless Marine manifolds with Quick & Quiet y-pipe, new corsa tips, lots of other recent maintenance and new parts, 2 covers, 2 props.

I had a marine surveyor check the boat out, and he was impressed with it's condition, given it's age. Performed well on sea trial, hit 58mph (GPS) on a fairly choppy bay, with a full tank of gas and roughly 700# of passengers onboard. Indicated rpm was about 4200 at that point.

Some things that need repair: The shift boot on the drive is deteriorating, and the surveyor feels that should be replaced before anything else. I assume this is something I should take to a marine mechanic to repair... I'm pretty good with most automotive repairs, but cars don't sink when you don't fix them right How much should I expect to pay for that repair?

Other stuff is minimal -- battery boxes/holddowns, cracked gauge cluster panel, crappy stereo. Also need lines, bumpers, safety equipment too... Best place to buy this stuff?? Westmarine?

I'll get some pics up as soon as I pick up the boat next week.

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 10-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a shift cable and bellows replaced and I think he charged about 125 for labor and parts.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Registered

OK, so I'll double that for standard South Florida markup

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 10-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by agchoset
Yesterday, I put down a deposit on a '98 Scarab 22. 7.4 carb, Bravo 1. Cosmetically in very nice shape, new upholstery throughout (pearl white with red and blue trim), new heads and Stainless Marine manifolds with Quick & Quiet y-pipe, new corsa tips, lots of other recent maintenance and new parts, 2 covers, 2 props.

I had a marine surveyor check the boat out, and he was impressed with it's condition, given it's age. Performed well on sea trial, hit 58mph (GPS) on a fairly choppy bay, with a full tank of gas and roughly 700# of passengers onboard. Indicated rpm was about 4200 at that point.

Some things that need repair: The shift boot on the drive is deteriorating, and the surveyor feels that should be replaced before anything else. I assume this is something I should take to a marine mechanic to repair... I'm pretty good with most automotive repairs, but cars don't sink when you don't fix them right How much should I expect to pay for that repair?

Other stuff is minimal -- battery boxes/holddowns, cracked gauge cluster panel, crappy stereo. Also need lines, bumpers, safety equipment too... Best place to buy this stuff?? Westmarine?

I'll get some pics up as soon as I pick up the boat next week.

Thanks!
Andrew
Let me know if ya wanna meet up sometime, I'll be out this Sunday weather permitting.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Let me know if ya wanna meet up sometime, I'll be out this Sunday weather permitting.
Yeah, that would be great, I'm probably not gonna pick up the boat until next week though, so this weekend is out. Where's your usual hangouts with the boat?
Old 10-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that would be great, I'm probably not gonna pick up the boat until next week though, so this weekend is out. Where's your usual hangouts with the boat?
I have been restoring my boat for 3 years, but before that we hung out at Peanut Island, Bananna Boat, John LLoyd in Lauderdale, Shooters etc. Plenty of places to go

Weather may not let me get out this weekend,also gotta get my motor back together tomorrow. So we may put it off a week or 2, keep me posted when you get it.

Heres a few pics of mine at John LLoyd on Labor Day, still needs some graphics installed.
Attached Thumbnails Bought a Scarab 22-pan2.jpg   Bought a Scarab 22-pan1.jpg   Bought a Scarab 22-pan3.jpg  

Old 10-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Registered

Congrats Andrew! You've got to put some pics up.
I haven't done one myself, so you guys chime in here, but if you're reasonably mechanically inclined, I don't think the boot is that involved. I'd bet getting the old one off is tougher than getting the new one on. Biggest issue is probably to make sure you use "bellows adhesive", which I've seen at Boat Owners Warehouse.
It's a good way to start getting familiar with the boat, and see what things you can do yourself, and what you're better off paying that South Florida markup for
As for boating goods, I love checking out Ebay & Craigslist before going local. Just depends on what you need. Flares & extinguishers you want to get from the store: West Marine, Boat Owners Warehouse, Boaters World, Bass Pro/Outdoor World, even Wal Mart can have stuff. Whichever is close to the house and stocks the parts you'll need. For example, my nearest West Marine doesn't stock a good selection of Bravo stuff, be it Merc/Quicksilver or aftermarket. But my "2nd choice store" stocks a bunch. You'll learn as you go.
Finally, not to take away from OSO, but check out www.raft-up.com for other people/places to go.
See ya' on the water...

Last edited by handfulz28; 10-07-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Registered

Yeah, I may wind up trying it myself -- since I just blew the transmission in my Tahoe (tow vehicle), cash is gonna be tight! I got a quote for $300 or so, for new cable, new boot, and labor.

I haven't picked up the boat yet, I'll get pics when I do.

I think I'll go online and order the factory service manual later today -- I was going to get them from sterndrives.com, unless someone has a better source.

Thanks!
Andrew

Last edited by DrFeelgood; 10-08-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Registered

unless someone has a better source.
ebay
Old 10-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Registered

Thanks, just found one (hope it's the right one, #11 seems to be the one that's widely available).

Quick Reply: Bought a Scarab 22

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.