Impeller question-oil change question >

Impeller question-oil change question

Notices

Impeller question-oil change question

Old 04-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impeller question-oil change question

I have 2 cast iron bodied intake pumps on my 30' scarab. Are the "impellers" that I was told to change yearly in these? How many types of pumps are there?
Second question....is there a tool that I need to change the engine oil on my engines? It does not look like I can fit a oil pan underneath to catch draining oil.

Any advise would be helpfull as this boat stuff is new to me.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

The pump that has the impeller should be along the lower starboard side of the motor, below the fuel pump. There should be 2 large hoses running to/from the pump body. I think the metal design is the older version, which has been replaced by plastic as of the mid- late 90s.

As for the oil change, you need to get a suction device to suck the oil up the dipstick tube. Some people prefer to install a fitting in the oil drain plug that allows a hose to be connected, and run out of the drain hole in the transom, but most folks just suck it up the dipstick tube.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Registered

I take it same device would be used to suction tranny oil out of outdrive transmissions? Does this device have a name?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

I never worked on marine transmissions, but I presume the principle would be the same.

For the actual outdrive, the fluid is drained out, then pumped back in from the drain plug, to avoid air bubbles in the fluid. In the case of a Bravo drive, the drain plug is either behind the prop, or on the nosecone. THere's an upper plug on the starboard side of the drive for checking the level / venting air.

If you go on amazon.com, and search for "oil change pump" there is agood amount of reviews on the different models.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Registered

Thank you.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Registered

i have a jasco oil pump on mine, realy slick. you do have to drain it to install the oil plug fitting but then your set after that. it's 12volt of the bat. and has a drain hose you can put into an old can(milk jug ). nice thing it drains from the bottom of the pan.