P-38 3rd trip out >

P-38 3rd trip out

Notices

P-38 3rd trip out

Old 06-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P-38 3rd trip out

went back to Elsinore again today. I fixed the two fuel leaks, the gas guage and installed the 3 1/4" blower pulleys. Outcome - got to about 5000 rpm (up from 4600)which translated into about 77 mph (from 69) and it was still climbing. I had 2 problems-1) the port blower (575sci) started leaking oil from the top of the front housing(gasket/seal). And 2) the port throttle would stick at about 2000 rpm( mechanically not the IAC valve) I would have to open the hatch and close by hand. Only after doing a high speed, run ,almost like the throttle blades freeze up or something. Any hints? Mike
Old 07-13-2008, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael
Whats the latest on the P-38 have you done anymore to it? Have you had it out lately?
Dan
Old 07-14-2008, 02:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the port motor( my nemesis) acted up in Havasu a couple of weeks ago . It was lagging in power and wouldn't pull over 4400 rpm. Last time out before it ran out of fuel under way. That motor popped through intake under load. I don't know if it melted spark plugs, melted a piston or what. With the poor build quality I got from Derberry, who knows. That motor has been inconsistent with everything from high oil pressure to burning oil, to fast idle from sticking throttle. It is in the hands of Absolute Marine in Havasu right now. I dropped it of on July 6th. They came highly recommended. No word back on the diagnosis yet. I will keep you all posted. Mike
Old 07-14-2008, 04:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike...thats the Only Scarab 38 Excel I really Do like.
I never been into the round "Euro" look of Excels except on the 28 but yours someway looks great.
Also the Thunder colours are quite nice but no cigar sofar...

Hopefully you get your problems sorted out...seem the sticking throttles sounds like bent butterfly axles (how that happened is a ??) or then the engine is running by itself because of sucking oil ?