84 Scarab Renovation (ongoing)

Notices

84 Scarab Renovation (ongoing)

Old 09-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tackledackle
Very nice!

Question.. so does the heat exchanger work the same as an oil cooler? Uses raw water to cool the coolant? I'm not very familiar with closed cooling systems. Yet.

Tim
Tim,

That's exactly how they work! Some of the major benefits are they save the engines by never exposing them to salt water(if you run in the ocean). It also allows you to mantain a more constant temperature allowing you to make more power.

...Jim
Old 09-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim, Looks very clean. Really nice job. Thos mufflers are neat, I've never seen them in action before. I like how they open up when you rev the engine.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by areyouliving
Jim, Looks very clean. Really nice job. Thos mufflers are neat, I've never seen them in action before. I like how they open up when you rev the engine.
Thanks Bill!

The mufflers are very neat and the best thing is they are extremely functional! Personally I prefer the loud open pipes and plan to run the mufflers only when I have to! I will keep them on the boat incase I need to throw them on!

...Jim
Old 09-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Registered

For those of you new to this thread, a little before and after perspective!
Attached Thumbnails 84 Scarab Renovation (ongoing)-img_3775.jpg   84 Scarab Renovation (ongoing)-img_3776.jpg   84 Scarab Renovation (ongoing)-img_3777.jpg  

84 Scarab Renovation (ongoing)-1.jpg   84 Scarab Renovation (ongoing)-3.jpg  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish my starters mounted on top. That starboard one is the worst job I've ever done on a boat. I actually thought about pulling the engine.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by areyouliving
I wish my starters mounted on top. That starboard one is the worst job I've ever done on a boat. I actually thought about pulling the engine.
Time for some new bellhousings!

Old 09-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good 502!!!! Its nice to see some progress!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 502ss
Made Major progress this weekend!. The engines are starting to look like engines again!
Great project,thats a hell of allot of work.I noticed I didn't see a PVC/crank case evacuation in the valve covers.

The gas tank looks like the one in my old 89 28 Scarab,nice install.
Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Great project,thats a hell of allot of work.I noticed I didn't see a PVC/crank case evacuation in the valve covers.

The gas tank looks like the one in my old 89 28 Scarab,nice install.
Rob
Actually they are there just not your traditional PVC style. If you go back to post #127 you will see it. It is aluminum block that accepts a #8AN fitting which then routes to the bottom of the aircleaner behind the carb. I didn't want to clutter up the top of the valve covers plus where it is mounted keeps it out of the direct spray from the rockers!

The fuel tank was a real pain in the a$$ and that's all I am going to say about that!!
Old 09-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
Actually they are there just not your traditional PVC style. If you go back to post #127 you will see it. It is aluminum block that accepts a #8AN fitting which then routes to the bottom of the aircleaner behind the carb. I didn't want to clutter up the top of the valve covers plus where it is mounted keeps it out of the direct spray from the rockers!

The fuel tank was a real pain in the a$$ and that's all I am going to say about that!!
Cool I see it now,On my gas tank we tried cutting thru the foam,I got all out except the bottom. we actually made some L shaped hooks to grab the end of the tank ,the fork lift was lifting the hole boat off of the trailer,I just ended up cutting a hole in the top made a cover with 2 pick ups,one return,I made the aluminum tube and j shaped it and cut the end at a angle to the floor,The stock fuel line was 3/8,I made the new one 1/2 with #10 line,I had a big blower motor in it so i wanted to make sure I had the flow,The top plate looked like a ATL fuel cell top plate,I was suprised there was no trash in the bottom of the tank.Hey good luck on your project.
Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: 84 Scarab Renovation (ongoing)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.