Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
84 Scarab Renovation (ongoing) >

84 Scarab Renovation (ongoing)

Notices

84 Scarab Renovation (ongoing)

Old 09-19-2015, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some major progress over the last few days! Time to order fiberglass materials!!

Old 09-19-2015, 06:45 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 502ss
Some major progress over the last few days! Time to order fiberglass materials!!

Now that's some real fab work, great job....
Old 09-20-2015, 11:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 330 Posts

Looking good 502. What's your name by the way? Feels weird calling you by your engine displacement. my hats off to you for going this surface drive route. Not an easy conversion.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just curious were these transmission used in the original kaama surface drives? I wonder how they set evrything up from the factory. Referring to the fitting that is butted next to the transom.

I ended up putting a 2 inch spacers on this weekend and running the boat and was able to see 87 mph every pass where is with the one inch spacers i only saw it one time. However the weather was cooler but i ran 6000 rpms everytime i saw 87mph
do i try to go down another inch? The boat seems to carry well with the 2 inch spacer. I am able to get more of the hull out of the water it appears
Old 09-21-2015, 03:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hblair
Looking good 502. What's your name by the way? Feels weird calling you by your engine displacement. my hats off to you for going this surface drive route. Not an easy conversion.
Thanks! It has been a challenge (which is why I do this stuff!!) but I can see the end is near!

It's Jim by the way!
Old 09-21-2015, 05:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hullofjustis
Just curious were these transmission used in the original kaama surface drives? I wonder how they set evrything up from the factory. Referring to the fitting that is butted next to the transom.

I ended up putting a 2 inch spacers on this weekend and running the boat and was able to see 87 mph every pass where is with the one inch spacers i only saw it one time. However the weather was cooler but i ran 6000 rpms everytime i saw 87mph
do i try to go down another inch? The boat seems to carry well with the 2 inch spacer. I am able to get more of the hull out of the water it appears
Originally Posted by hullofjustis

Yes these are the trannies for the kaama setup but I had to push the drive out the back 4.5" because of the bulkhead that is in my boat that is not in kaama version of the scarabs!

That's why this has been so much engineering! This isn't just a simple drive swap but I am working with clearances of +/- .25"

Regarding your setup, 87mph is nothing to be upset with! How does the boat feel at that speed? Any chine walk?
Old 09-21-2015, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
yes these are the trannies for the kaama setup but i had to push the drive out the back 4.5" because of the bulkhead that is in my boat that is not in kaama version of the scarabs!

That's why this has been so much engineering! This isn't just a simple drive swap but i am working with clearances of +/- .25"

regarding your setup, 87mph is nothing to be upset with! How does the boat feel at that speed? Any chine walk?
ah i keep forgetting about the bulk head and that you have moved everything back 5 inches.

It does chine walk from time to time and porpoises at other times. I am trying to post a video of it running with the 2 inch spacer and the 1 inch spacer having issues. I am not sure if it is too big or not

87 mph is not bad, i was hoping for 90's only because my buddy riggged and built engines for a panther a few years ago.
Similar engine package. However it was a stock bravo drive height and he hit 89mph. And was actually taken to court because it did not hit 90 mph and was supposed too.
We were hoping with raising the x dimension and the extension boxes we would get into the 90's.
But it is not like i am running 90 mph everywhere i go.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:06 PM
Registered

Did a little sanding and grinding, actually a lot of sanding and grinding!! Hopefully test fit the engine and tranny package as a whole tomorrow before the ass end of the boat goes in the garage for the glass and finish work!

Old 10-31-2015, 09:45 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I haven't taken a look at my transmissions in a while, but yours look different for some reason. Are they Twin Disc MG 502's ?
Old 10-31-2015, 10:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bck
I haven't taken a look at my transmissions in a while, but yours look different for some reason. Are they Twin Disc MG 502's ?
Yes they are Twin Disc MG 502's

Quick Reply: 84 Scarab Renovation (ongoing)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.