84 Scarab Renovation (ongoing) >

84 Scarab Renovation (ongoing)

Notices

84 Scarab Renovation (ongoing)

Old 01-31-2016, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Just as info on the transmissions, there are some minor changes that can be done. I believe I had some different springs or something put in mine to increase the fluid pressure. I found a Twin Disc dealer that that still had a mechanic who was familiar with rebuilding the transmissions from back when the Kaamas were still in production. It was a lot of money to have them rebuilt by the dealer, I would not do it again. If I was committed to using the Kaamas I would look into the modern replacement for the MG 502s.
I am not aware of a modern replacement for the mg502. Are you?
Old 01-31-2016, 08:41 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Twin Disc is still in business making several models of marine transmissions. There was a newer version, but it's been several years since I looked into it. It may not have had identical dimensions, but was generally the same input/output wise. Twin Disc offered to do an engineering study for me at the time, but that sounded like code for saying it would cost more than my entire boat.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:33 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Just took a look at their site. They have more transmissions than I care to look through. They do mention that they manufacture one that is full throttle reversing with angled output for low/ level engine mounting, so there's your 502 replacement
Old 02-01-2016, 03:28 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Put my last skim coat of filler on today to take care of a few low spots but the transom is pretty much filled and flat!!

Old 02-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 399 Likes on 147 Posts

Looks great do you want to put a set of original Kaama water pickups on it I have all the pieces to weld up a least 50 of each left over. Send me your address and I will send you a set pieces to build a couple just have to weld them together and from the looks of your build that should be no problem.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:44 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

I'm assuming the water intakes on my Formula are still the original Kaama pieces. They are pretty clean an simple appearance wise. They also have a grate on them to stop seaweed from getting sucked in, if those are the ones.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:50 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Not the best picture because the rams are blocking them but...
Attached Thumbnails 84 Scarab Renovation (ongoing)-imag0587.jpg  
Old 02-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
It is probably a lot of work to relocate the bravos but probably a lot more work to convert to kaama's! As team archer stated the engines move forward a lot and sit really low in the bilge. Depending on the bilge configuration you may not even have the room to move the engines forward enough!

I would agree that if you are happy with the bravos then focus the effort on relocating them to the right height! I might be interested in your kaama's if you are looking to sell!
mine was a trs boat that I converted to bravo's my engine compartment is 48" long how long is your engine compartment.

fyi there is twindisc transmissions still being manufactured that are holding up to 4000 horsepower. I saved the website if you want the link?
Old 02-01-2016, 03:24 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

I'd hate to see what they are charging for them. I could've bought new Huber or Bams for what it costs to rebuild and upgrade the 502s at the dealer
Old 02-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 399 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Not the best picture because the rams are blocking them but...
Those are the merc. waterpickups the Kaama pickups are stainless tubing.

Quick Reply: 84 Scarab Renovation (ongoing)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.