VIP Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 330 Posts

Moving right along.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:34 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Dan would know better than me but I recall there being a problem with having both the steering rams being connected at one central point. Kept loosening up or something like that. Maybe they installed some type of backing plate or separated the rams to individual mounts. I forget the details now and maybe I'm wrong. There's just something in the back of my mind about it.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
Got all the mockup done for drives and hydraulics. Had to 3D print a mockup steering ram holder to make sure everything was going to work. Need to locate the hydraulic line connections and then unbolt everything so I can pull the drives apart and get them prepped for paint!

Almost time to finish the transom!

why did you not need to put an extension on the steering rams and the drive height rams? it seems to me that you would not have the turning radius needed because the rams are too short.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 399 Likes on 147 Posts

Kaama made a twin mount for the steering that looks similar to what you have made but I would space them off of the transom the same as your drive spacer that gives you the correct angle for the steering and trim rams. Just my two cents.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:27 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Archer
Kaama made a twin mount for the steering that looks similar to what you have made but I would space them off of the transom the same as your drive spacer that gives you the correct angle for the steering and trim rams. Just my two cents.
Wasn't there some issue with having both the rams connected to the same piece. I could swear there was an issue with it in some manner because of all the force on that one point.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have all the original documentation for the Kaama setup and all the documentation only shows a single ram being used on twins. I have seen pictures of dual setups on kaama's so maybe it was revised documentation later in their lifecycle.

As part of the mockup I checked all the angles with the Pistons spaced off the transom vs. where they are now. The angle difference is not that much different and should still actuate the drives fine. I will need to extend the Rams some with a coupler (right now it's threaded rod on the ends) to maintaine the same trim and steering ratio.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 399 Likes on 147 Posts

Kaama did a lot of twin ram center steer with out any problems. the reason for the spacer off the transom is so you don't extend the ram length that puts a lot of leverage on that shaft in my opinion it would be a lot stronger to use spacer blocks when ever we used standoff boxes on boats we would always space out the mount not lengthen the shaft.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to be running both of our Scarabs down the lake this year. I want to see both going down the lake with twin rooster tails.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownScarabI
I want to be running both of our Scarabs down the lake this year. I want to see both going down the lake with twin rooster tails.
Yes sir! We need to find someone to take some video/photos from another boat!

Quick Reply: 84 Scarab Renovation (ongoing)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.