Scarab 33 AVS >

Scarab 33 AVS

Notices

Scarab 33 AVS

Old 09-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scarab 33 AVS

Anybody looked at the 33 scarab AVS hull in the classifieds? If so can you give some input on it? Im entertaining the idea of taking a project on.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

looks like you better have deep pockets putting that together. it would cost prolly 40 - 50k on top of what you pay for the boat. It even needs a trailer, guages, drives, gimbles, steering, interior, + the gel and everything else looks really rough.

I would rather just low ball all the mint ones that are ready to go for a little more money
Old 09-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 196 Likes on 103 Posts

I know everything you need to know about that boat prior to its current owner. It used to be a very nice boat. It is not any longer. Its viability as a project even at the right price is very questionable due to what the boat has been thru.n I can not tell from the pictures but the NJ reg #s are probably still on the boat. I kept wondering when I would see it again.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:45 PM
scarab
Gold Member

Originally Posted by scarabman
I know everything you need to know about that boat prior to its current owner. It used to be a very nice boat. It is not any longer. Its viability as a project even at the right price is very questionable due to what the boat has been thru.n I can not tell from the pictures but the NJ reg #s are probably still on the boat. I kept wondering when I would see it again.
What has this boat been thru I was thinking about making an offer
Old 09-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Registered

The boat sustained severe damage in a rollover accident and was fully submerged in salt water for approx 6 hrs before being raised. The motors were pickled the next morning but are most likely full of sand and would need to be torn down and cleaned out at the very least. Prior to the accident they ran very,very well and pushed the boat into the low 80s. The hull and deck separated from the starboard side windscreen area around to the port side stern where you see the rubrail hanging in the pictures. The cockpit liner and bulkheads to the bow and stern of the liner were partially separated from the hull side on the starboard side. There was an approx 1'x2' area of outer lamination torn off down to the Spraycore and missing on the starboard side hullside just to rear of the 2nd step as I recall. There is also a rear engine room vent cover missing on the starboard side as well as the engine hatch which I happen to know the whereabouts of should anyone decide to buy this boat. It would be a difficult piece to replace. The tie-bar for the Latham steering was also stolen while the boat sat after salvage. It was also determined that the starboard outdrive was most likely blown and the potenetial cause of the accident. The boat was totaled and picked up by Cooper Capital. They had told me that they would be repairing it for future resale. It was my opinion that the only way the hull could be properly repaired and maintain its ride and handling integrity, was for it to be placed back in the original mold during the fiberglass repairs.

Keep in mind that the wiring, power bolster motors, upholstery, cabin cabinetry, fresh water pumps, vacu-flush pump for the head, etc. were all submerged in salt water. After the boat was recovered it was left uncovered/unprotected minus the engine hatch cover for a period of about 3 months outside. The motors are cetainly worth a re-build and the drives were drained and pickled immediately as well.

I provide this information because it was always my fear that the boat be repaired in a substandard way and that latent defects may cause someone to get hurt on the boat in the future. My apologies to whomever is selling this boat. It is not my intention to hurt your ability to make a sale. My intentions are stated above.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:40 AM
scarab
Gold Member

Thanks for the info
Old 09-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Registered

Default Thanks for the info

Im glad I posted this inquiry. I asked the seller if the boat had spent anytime underwater and his reply was. "No it did get flooded with water from a spin out Make an offer!"
I wont be making an offer.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:24 AM
Registered

In the sellers defense, that may be what he was told. Rarely, when buying a boat at a salvage auction, do you get the real story as even the salvage company generally does not know the facts.