1989 28 scarab excell parts for sale

Notices

1989 28 scarab excell parts for sale

Old 03-09-2002, 06:17 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1989 28 scarab excell parts for sale

saved all the old parts when i was modifying it ,sold boat don't need , see adds in parts form, have some stuff not listed ,all engine and drive ,it was a 454 mag, have exhaust ,mufflers, tilt steering complete ,oil filter remote,hoses,therm hours,stainless y pipes for headers for water outlet,dip stick ,pulleys,brackets,all parts came off 1992, had about 160 hours,when changed every thing, rest has 44 hours imco out drive ,blower inner cooler,sea strainer,have some pictures on email,also have original brochure,test report e mail me

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 06-05-2003 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2002, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rob,

I have a list of things I am hunting. All are for a 1988 454 mags.

Motor mounts
large oval port heads (2) sets
aluminum rect port DP intake w/spreadbore flange (1)
holley 800cfm marine carbs (2)
cast aluminum valve covers that will clear roller rockers (2) sets
power steering pump (1)

Got anything?

BT
Old 11-28-2002, 01:28 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

what blower is the intercooler for??? what condition is it in?
Old 11-30-2002, 05:56 PM
Rob
VIP Member

blue thunder i dont have any of that but will try to post a list soon.
here are some old pictures
Attached Thumbnails 1989 28 scarab excell parts for sale-scarab-640-480.jpg  

Old 11-30-2002, 05:57 PM
Rob
VIP Member

engine
Attached Thumbnails 1989 28 scarab excell parts for sale-scarab-engine-1-640.jpg  

Old 11-30-2002, 06:05 PM
Rob
VIP Member

this is the engine before i up graded to the 1050 dominators ,494 ci at 8 % overdriven.
Attached Thumbnails 1989 28 scarab excell parts for sale-scarab-engine-2x640.jpg  

Old 12-01-2002, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rob -

What performance \ speed did you end up getting with all the mods? What prop worked best? Estimated HP?
Old 12-02-2002, 06:18 PM
Rob
VIP Member

the last motor that i built before i sold the boat dynoed at 828hp at 7150rpm.the best speed was 84 at 6100 rpm.the boat would never free up just stick to the water, the boat would lay on its side at full throttle , the hp ended pulling the stringer on left hand side making a hook in the bottom. i gave up on trying to make it go faster had some wrong combination on prop and gear ratios.just pouring money into it.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 06-05-2003 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:00 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

rob did you get the PM I sent you????

the 28 scarab has a very low x dimension for a boat with a pad. the boat is also nose heavy it seems, I must of tried over a dozen of props on this boat this past summer before I found one that worked well. what the problem is that the boat needs bow lift but most of the 4 blade props on the market produce stern lift which makes the boat ride to low in the water. this was great for handling in the 1000 islands poker run, I didn't even have to use tabs one bit. But for everyday fooling around on the Hudson river this is to much. I took some video of the boat in motion and you can see that the riding attitude was dead level. My friends said that it looked like I was going to stuff the bow a few times. thank god I never did.

I tried using all kinds of props , 3 blades did not work well, I had no mid range and some didn't even get on plane, I used a bunch of bravo ones from 24-28 pitch , lab finished and standard. hydromotives as well and they all rode the same. I was beginning to think I had a hook so I went looking for one and didn't find anything outrageously bad. most people seem to go right for the hydromotive and bravo props because they are readily available but for my boat it wasn't the correct prop.

I talked to a friend who boat guru and has designed parts for merc that he collects royalties from. he grew up in Wisconsin with all the merc engineers. his main thing is OB motor but this guy can make anything fast. after telling him what I been through he said that the X is to deep and it has a pad bottom so the bravo props wont work for this application. he gave me a prop that he said merc does not make anymore . it was a smaller diameter 4 blade 26P with ears shaped more like those on a mirage. I cant remember what it was called. I just tried to call him to find out but he is not answering. when I do I will let you know. I believe he said it was a OB prop but trust him this will work. well let me tell you it did . the boat rose right out of the water and went fast as hell. I was running side by side with my friends 25 AT that was running 73 mph on gps at that very moment. I had three people in the boat and a full tank of gas. That day I noticed acceleration from 4500 rpms to 5000 rpms took for ever and as the day went on the boat didn't push past 4750 rpms. that next morning when I was heading to the ramp she was hitting just over 5200 rpms and going fast. It was very cold out I was by my self with no gear in the boat and almost out of fuel. there was also a slight chop. It was perfect conditions to test overall top speed. since that day I haven't ran the boat . I was pulling the motor the next weekend to change the oil pan, fix an exhaust leak and add an inter cooler when I noticed water in all the header tubes. I didn't know but I was getting reversion. I decided to do a compression test since the motor was coming out and to my surprise I found that the # 2 cylinder was only 117 psi and the rest were around 155. I ended up having a bent valve.

so the day I ran my fastest I had a bad exhaust leak under the hatch contaminating the air. I also had a flame arestor clogged with this kind of fiber glass that was to fix the exhaust leak and blew all over the engine compartment. the rubber exhaust pipes to the transom were internally collapsed and blisters so bad that I couldn't get my hand through them ( major exhaust restriction ) the wrong windage tray in the motor so at high rpms my oil pressure would drop off to almost nothing and my oil temp was pushing 300 degrees. and to top it off I had a bent exhaust valve. originally the motor was dynode at 550 @ 5200. and 589 @ 5800....... I would say if it was pushing 500 @ 5000 it was doing good.

the motor is currently at the shop getting re done and a intercooler added so next season. I hope to see 600 HP So I will be looking for another prop but now I know where to start looking. sorry for the long post but I hope this can help

Paul
Old 12-05-2002, 06:03 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Paul i got your pm, i had a gill oil pan on mine it did OK never lost oil pressure.had a Farley good wind age tray, i just bought a Jeff Johnston billet fab pan for the race car with the 4 inch kick out look good, but the ends i had to put silicon to seal up. i think dually,canton,Dan Olson, make a pan also,the only prob with the clearance was the sea pump.i tried the 3 blade the just blew out even at 6000rpm i could throttle it and still blow out the prop.are you still running the stock exhaust?

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 06-05-2003 at 11:49 PM.

Quick Reply: 1989 28 scarab excell parts for sale

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.