Fuel guage question?

Old 07-03-2002, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fuel guage question?

Hey all.

The boat: 1996 26' Scarab.

Problem: Fuel guage reads irratic.

First of all, I know that fuel guages on boats are not known for acurate readings. That's not an issue for me. But something in the general area would be nice.

Here's the deal. Bought the boat from the original owner in August of last year. Guage worked perfect first 3-4 times out. Took the boat out for a night run one night on a full tank and it was barely reading 1/4 tank. Thought there was a blown fuse or something. After about 1/2 hour it started working correctly. Worked fine the rest of the weekend and even through the end of summer. After getting the boat out this spring I noticed it reading off enough to be bothersome. When full it reads about 3/4 to 7/8 tank. After running the boat for awhile the guage will start bouncing around like normal, but still not reading FULL when FULL.

I realize this is probably small potatoes but I find it REALLY irritating. If it hadn't worked fine last summer I probably wouldn't even have thought twice about it.

Any ideas?

By the way, I have an access port directly over my fuel tank so access for a quick fix may not be a problem.

Thanks all.

Buck
Old 07-03-2002, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First at the tank their should be two wires- run a jumper between the wires and see if the guage goes to full - if it does then you have a bad sender. IF it doesn't then check all connections from the sender to the guage. If you have a bad sender it may be an ISPRO if you have VDO guages.
Old 07-04-2002, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks TB, I'll try that.

I know I don't have Gaffrig guages, but I can't remember what they are. They may be VDO.

Have a ballpark price for a new sender?

Buck
Old 07-05-2002, 01:17 AM
Mike J

Buck: Most times its a wire connector, Could be
Dirty(PushON) or broken.
Check from tank to gage.
Could also be the sender.
You can pull the sender
BUT make sure you turn
OFF the battery switch,
OR bend over and Well you
get my drift.
Mike J.

Old 07-05-2002, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you do have VDO guages look at the top of the sender and if it says ISPRO on the top you can find them on the net and I think the price was under $50. They were VERY helpfull. I had to replace mine last year.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:03 AM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Kind of related, I recently had to replace some VDO gauges in my 1990 34, and someone here on OSO recommended egauges.com who was incredibly helpful and fast. I had also contact VDO via email, also very helpful technical assistance.

Although the 1990 model gauges were no longer available, the new Standard line face is identical. I had to grind the hole wider on the dash a bit, because they mount from the front now. Then had to buy a second matching gauge to match the new one. Call or check out egauges if you need a new sender for a quote.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 07-08-2002, 02:55 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 990 Likes on 502 Posts
Arrow

if it turns out to be the sending unit, Gaffrig has a neat one where you can callibrate it for full and empty. And i think it works with just about any gauge. All you would need is the depth of the tank.

P.S. If you need one let me know and i can get it for ya

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!