Scarab Panther always a work in progress >

Scarab Panther always a work in progress

Notices

Scarab Panther always a work in progress

Old 03-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 1,281 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
The blowers will be nice! Keep the boost low to start and you should be fine. You still gonna run the TRS? What are you looking at for HP with the blowers?
Yes I will still run TRS drives. I'm not sure what my HP will be. I am assuming 650-675 range depending on boost and octane. I believe most gains will be in the overall TQ #'s.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:20 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
Yes I will still run TRS drives. I'm not sure what my HP will be. I am assuming 650-675 range depending on boost and octane. I believe most gains will be in the overall TQ #'s.
I gained 14 mph and went from 22" to 28" pitch props when I added 177's and 1050 dominaters on bone stock 502's crate motors on my old Scarab III
Old 03-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Scarab3DMC
I gained 14 mph and went from 22" to 28" pitch props when I added 177's and 1050 dominaters on bone stock 502's crate motors on my old Scarab III
Wow, that's more than enough.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

how are you making out with your scarab panther. I was curious what you used for add on strakeswhat did you attach them with?
I have recently had my 86 on the water after 4-5 years of putting back together. I am run twin 502's guessing 550 hp with bravo's and extension boxes.and my x dimension is to high right now
the best i have seen is 87mph i was hoping mid 90's

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544481[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]544482[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by rookie
wow, that's more than enough.
Attached Thumbnails Scarab Panther always a work in progress-img_2092.jpg   Scarab Panther always a work in progress-image.jpg  
Old 09-02-2015, 09:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hullofjustis
how are you making out with your scarab panther. I was curious what you used for add on strakeswhat did you attach them with?
I have recently had my 86 on the water after 4-5 years of putting back together. I am run twin 502's guessing 550 hp with bravo's and extension boxes.and my x dimension is to high right now
the best i have seen is 87mph i was hoping mid 90's
I ground off the gel to get to the fiberglass. I had the strakes cut out of white oak on a 24* angle. I then wrapped them in West 105 epoxy and 1708 bi-axial, sanded off the amine blush, covered the bottom of the boat and strake with West Six 10 and then affixed it to the bottom of the boat. I then sanded the bottom of the strake really good and wiped down with water and then acetone to remove the amine blush. I then put a coat of 3M marine filler over the strake, sanded to match original strake line and then shot over that with 50/50 gel coat and Duratec high gloss. I first did this procedure using 1708 and polyester resin, but the water pressure ripped one of the strakes off after a year.

I was nervous about using 3M filler and gel over epoxy because I heard so many horror stories. I called West and they said not to be afraid and to be sure to sand and scotch brite the amine blush and I'd have no problems. I actually have been using epoxy for all of my little repairs now. I really like the West Six 10 in the caulk gun. The viscosity is great and will hang upside down with out dripping. And it is easily sanded.

I like the standoff boxes and was thinking about adding them eventually. Your boat is a runner! I finally hit the 80mph barrier back in June. (80.1mph
Old 09-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply, i would highly recommend the extension boxes or at minimmum raisingin the x dimension. A couple inches.
Just don't go too high like mine is. I am going to pull the engines this winter and lower the engines at least 2 inches. The boat runs great with a one inch spacer and never blows out when i am on plane, it is just getting on plane that is an experience.
Are you running trs drives? What horsepower ?
Old 09-09-2015, 07:34 AM
Registered

Yes TRS, around 550-575HP.
It's amazing how much drive height affects speed. I removed some +3" extension boxes off a friend's boat and lost 7-9mph.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:04 AM
Registered

Wow what kind of boat was it? Was it already a high x dimension?
It is, i am going to put 2 inch spacers on this week and run it to see what changes.
With my 30 pitch bravo 4 blades i can turn 6000 rpm and get 84mph which is like 26% slippage and with my 26 pitch 5 blade hydromotives i have seen 87mph at 5800 rpm which is 6-8% slippage. I am very curious what is going to change with a 2 inch spacer.
One other thing that blew my mind was the first couple passes i was running 20w -50 racing oil and only getting 82 mph at 5400 rpm
i changed the oil and put 15w-40 in and that is the first time i had seen 5800 rpm and 87mph. Pretty amazing that the thickness of the oil could affect engine horsepower that much
Old 02-14-2016, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Bringing this back for a update. I have a 30 Panther that's local and been sitting. Curious to ask about it and came across this thread as I was searching for information and hulls. Read the whole thing and really good stuff!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS
Bringing this back for a update. I have a 30 Panther that's local and been sitting. Curious to ask about it and came across this thread as I was searching for information and hulls. Read the whole thing and really good stuff!
Thanks, the boat ran flawless 99% of the summer. The weekend after Labor day up at HotBoat, I neglected a noisy rocker. I gained some lash which in turn the rocker walked off of the valve stem, bent the stem and I broke a valve. Chewed up the piston a little bit. I'm putting a new slug in cylinder 1 and should be up and running at the start of spring. Not too much damage a few hundred $$$.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.