80's Scarabs without Rot? >

80's Scarabs without Rot?

Notices

80's Scarabs without Rot?

Old 10-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 80's Scarabs without Rot?

I have seriously looked at 3 scarabs only to finally discover signs of transom and or stringer rot (paid survey). I would like to find a mid to late 80's 34 Scarab III or 38.

When did the construction by Wellcraft improve on the Scarab models?

Should I just expect all 80's Scarabs to have rot issues and plan on replacing transom or stringers?

What other issues are common problems to that era of Scarab? I am now looking at 35 Cigarettes and Formula 336 and 357's.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 396 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by deepv29
I have seriously looked at 3 scarabs only to finally discover signs of transom and or stringer rot (paid survey). I would like to find a mid to late 80's 34 Scarab III or 38.

When did the construction by Wellcraft improve on the Scarab models?

Should I just expect all 80's Scarabs to have rot issues and plan on replacing transom or stringers?

What other issues are common problems to that era of Scarab? I am now looking at 35 Cigarettes and Formula 336 and 357's.
Glass Dave on the site may have a scarab III for sale. I bet his has no rot...
Jr.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Registered

I am going to put my 31' Scarab Thunder up for sale soon. I just replaced the whole transom and everything else under the hatch.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

I highly doubt you will find ANYTHING from that era that does not have some kind of rot. It does not matter if it is a Cigarette, Scarab, Apache or other. Some of the boat builders were better at sealing the holes that were drilled in the stringers and transom, but you have to remember that these boats are almost 30 some years old. Unless they sat in a garage and were taken out of the water every day, I would assume that the stringers and transom are soft. Your best bet is to find a boat that was already redone (like Glass Daves) And remember that even if a surveyor says that there is no rot, He doesn't have X-ray vision and cant see everything.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

wellcraft build quality back then.... When I redid the transom on the nova I found air pockets and even an old cigarette lighter glassed in.....
Old 10-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like others have stated i doubt u will find one that old with no rot. Heck most of the middle to late 90's boats will have some also.

Last edited by indysupra; 10-20-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by indysupra
heck most of the middle to late 90's boats with have some also.
+1
Old 10-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Registered

Original owner kept in garage no rot. Everything else is highly suspect!
Old 10-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 208 Likes on 133 Posts

90% of any older boat is goung to have some, a few do not, my Baja was rotted to hell, looked at my Cig and its not rotted at all, everything was sealed well in the Cig, the baja nothing was sealed...

It helps when they have been taken care of properly, my buddy sold a Scarab III last year and it has not been redone and it is dry as can be, but it was kept properly... thats a rare occasion..
Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
90% of any older boat is goung to have some, a few do not, my Baja was rotted to hell, looked at my Cig and its not rotted at all, everything was sealed well in the Cig, the baja nothing was sealed...

It helps when they have been taken care of properly, my buddy sold a Scarab III last year and it has not been redone and it is dry as can be, but it was kept properly... thats a rare occasion..
You mind me asking what $ range he sold it in? I have been toying with picking up a larger boat and I love the larger cockpit and additional sheeting that the 34' scarab offers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.