Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
First ride 38KV >

First ride 38KV

Notices

First ride 38KV

Old 04-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 51 Likes on 19 Posts

Awesome my friend! Looks good without the center rail.........!

Ran my the other day----should be a season this year.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^thanks! I still have a few more things to do but its getting there! Good to hear yours ran good. Its about that time! Will you be at the Tickfaw 200 or Texas Outlaw Challenge this year?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSneakAttack
Thanks guys!

Mild- Im running 1:34 Imco Lowers and 32 Maximus labbed props.... I'm more concerned with my cruising speed than top end. I switched the gears last week from 1:50 to 1:34 and only have one ride with them but at 3500rpms its mid 60's and at 4000rpms its 80-82 on gps. Im sure I will only turn them at 5000rpms in the summer with a load and so on. The boat has ran low 90's before the gear change and over the winter I took out about 200lbs out of the boat in a battery and refrigerator etc. I'll take a good (to me) cruising speed b/c here we have long runs to get to the lake,sand bar etc. I hope this helps. thanks
Sounds like a runner! Just curious, why the gear change? Did you notice any acceleration loss with 1.34?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=MILD THUNDER;3898947]Sounds like a runner! Just curious, why the gear change? Did you notice any acceleration loss with 1.34?[/QUOTE

Its called "Friends with Benefits" A good friend of mine bought the 399 Skater V Rod so he's in the big leagues now so he gave me some lowers off his old boat! ha ha

It accelerates just as good to me But im not hard on throttles.
My boat isn't made for acceleration if you want to get in a boat that accelerates take a ride in the Skater 399! ha ha
Old 04-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=MrSneakAttack;3898957]
Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Sounds like a runner! Just curious, why the gear change? Did you notice any acceleration loss with 1.34?[/QUOTE

Its called "Friends with Benefits" A good friend of mine bought the 399 Skater V Rod so he's in the big leagues now so he gave me some lowers off his old boat! ha ha

It accelerates just as good to me But im not hard on throttles.
My boat isn't made for acceleration if you want to get in a boat that accelerates take a ride in the Skater 399! ha ha
I hear ya. Only reason I asked, is a buddy of mine has 1.34 imco's, he thinks they are what are causing his lack of acceleration. He wants to switch back to 1.5's. I don't think its gonna be as dramatic of a change as he thinks acceleration wise.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=MILD THUNDER;3898963]
Originally Posted by MrSneakAttack

I hear ya. Only reason I asked, is a buddy of mine has 1.34 imco's, he thinks they are what are causing his lack of acceleration. He wants to switch back to 1.5's. I don't think its gonna be as dramatic of a change as he thinks acceleration wise.
I stayed with the same size props that I had on my 1:50. Did he prop down? If so that my be what he's feeling. Lots of noise but not going anywhere?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=MrSneakAttack;3898969]
Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER

I stayed with the same size props that I had on my 1:50. Did he prop down? If so that my be what he's feeling. Lots of noise but not going anywhere?
He only ran it like once with the 1.5 gears. But the day he did, he only had 30p props on. The boat accelerated very hard, and spun to 6500RPM. Then he changed to 1.34 gears, same 30p props. Turned 6000, but acceleration wasn't as good.

I been trying to explain, that he's not comparing apples to apples. He should have tried 26's with the 1.34 if he was wanting to compare the acceleration part of it. But he's got a couple buddies telling him he needs to go back to 1.5's, and it will get that super acceleration back. I know there may be a slight advantage to a 1.5 in acceleration, but nothing imo compared to being underpropped 4 or more inches of pitch. But, I haven't messed with ratios myself much. I don't care much about acceleration is a big offshore boat, as long as its within reason.

I think its nature of the 42' boat, with procharged engines. They just don't make low end like a roots or screw blower. BTW, sorry to get your thread off topic. Love the KV scarabs!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My favorite KV! Gorgeus!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JetJock
Awesome my friend! Looks good without the center rail.........!

Ran my the other day----should be a season this year.
I still kick myself in the A$$ for not buying your boat when it came on the market. Seems like you've had great luck with it. Its also a beauty.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Registered

no problem on the thread! yeah that makes sense what you are thinking. Again i'm super easy on my throttles. However my acceleration and your acceleration may be different. I come from a 900hp at the prop 26ft cat and to me that accelerated good. My boat does accelerate but you get my point. The old Scarab will holds it own! ha ha ......now 10yrs ago I would jam the throttles break the drives and go again like it was nothing lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.