Advice appreciated - 1989 Scarab Excel 28 >

Advice appreciated - 1989 Scarab Excel 28

Notices

Advice appreciated - 1989 Scarab Excel 28

Old 08-14-2013, 04:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice appreciated - 1989 Scarab Excel 28

Newbie to the Forum, and to all things Scarab.

Have had a hunt through as many of the topics on here as I can, but struggled to find anyone else with a similar topic, so here I am...

Being based over in Europe, seems a lot less choice out there on the Scarab front, but have found this one...

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=50809&url=

...which, according to the broker at least, is in v good condition & fairly recently restored/tidied up, although admittedly quite high hours on the engine (700). Paint job/interior doesnt really do it for me, but happy to rectify that later on.

Am heading over to see it this weekend, and will be getting a full marine survey and sea-test before purchasing if it initially looks ok to my (untrained) eye, but are there any typical issues/common problems I should look out for myself before spending on the full survey?

Also, having mainly grown up in Mastercraft/ski boats, whats the fuel burn likely to be on something of this size, assuming I stick with its stock 454 Magnum (375hp)? Recognise thats pretty variable on load etc, but any rough numbers for cruise and vmax would be appreciated. Given the hours, the engine is my main concern right now - am mentally budgeting $1,000-3,000 for either a total rebuild or possibly whole new/reconditioned engine. She'll mainly be used for near shore coastal runs in the Med, hour or two from marina to marina, with maybe the odd bit of skiing/toy-towing time to time. Am not looking to break speed records so ultimately most efficient unit i can find that gives good pickup and 40-50mph top speed will be what I'm after longer term - any recommendations?

Many thanks in advance,

Chris
Old 08-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess would be mid 50's and just under but closer to 2mpg. IMO

Looks like a nice boat.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Better double what your expecting to spend on a rebuild. Then add a few bucks to go through the drive also
Old 08-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

stock power - 365hp, 58 mph, nice rough water boat.