First "go fast" boat >

First "go fast" boat

Notices

First "go fast" boat

Old 07-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First "go fast" boat

Hi I am new to the powerboat scene, I just sold my 1976 Trojan f26 express and have been looking for a faster boat that I can take out on the bay. The trojan was nice but I wanted something I can go faster than 40 in... I found a 1988 SCARAB Excell 29 for sale locally. From the picks it looks like a nice boat and has a newer 496 engine. Then interior looks very clean and I was wondering if there is anything I should look for upon inspecting the boat? Also what can I expect from the boat performance wise? Is this something I can take out on the ocean and not get to beat up? I realise its not going to be the fishing vessel my trojan was but I still like to go out with some friends in light to moderate seas... Thnk you for all the advice
Old 07-17-2014, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

jdouglas9 - sounds line a winner!

having purchased a used boat - it is critical that you have someone go thru the engine and outdrive with a fine tooth comb- make sure you have someone that you trust. I had an issue with engine alignment that wasn't reviewed prior to my purchase - this resulted in a new coupler - which wasn't cheap. Everything else on the engine was perfect - excellent compression, leakdown results and the outdrive looked like it came out of the box. However, the prior owner didn't think twice when he "tightened" the motor mounting bolts- thought they were loose- and thru the engine out of alignment - it doesn't take much.

all the best

3pointstar
Old 07-17-2014, 10:00 AM
Registered

yes I plan on inspecting the engine first hand, but outdrives I am going to leave up to one of my friends who has a twin engine searay with bravo drives.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Registered

how will this hull do in the ocean?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdougla9
I realise its not going to be the fishing vessel my trojan was but I still like to go out with some friends in light to moderate seas... Thnk you for all the advice
You'll find this boat excellent when fishing for some species, such as clam, pink tuna & snapper....
Old 07-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Registered

lol love it haha