Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Settled on Scarab 29, questions. >

Settled on Scarab 29, questions.

Notices

Settled on Scarab 29, questions.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Settled on Scarab 29, questions.

I sold my boat a couple months ago. It was a 92 PQ 222, 454 B1. It was my first boat and I learned a lot on it and had a lot of fun. However, it was a little small and I got bored with the speed. After some thinking, I've settled on a Scarab 29 to be my next boat. I need something with a narrower beam to fit into my driveway, so that ruled out 8.5' beam boats.

I'm going to go with twin small blocks over a single I think. Is it worth it to hold out for MPIs over carbs? Also worth it to hold out for Bravos over Alphas? Is there much difference in speed between the MPIs and carbed boats? Is there anything else anyone can comment about the boat? From all I've read it sounds like a solid boat. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

Where do you do your boating? The singles are better balanced but slower in stock form than a twin 350 boat. Your questions suggest you are looking at older 29s versus late 90s up?
Old 10-02-2014, 06:45 AM
Registered

I boat on Lake St Clair here in Michigan and would like to be able to make a run to PIB/Cedar Point in Lake Erie on occasion. The additional speed from the twins is making me lean that way. I'd like to have a chance at the upper 60s in stock form. My budget will be up to $30k or so, so I'm thinking that could get me up to the late 90s/2000. There's a nice looking 94 for sale in my area now with carbs and Alphas, so that's why I wanted to post here to get a handle on the advantages of holding out for MPIs and Bravos. I'm in no rush now that we're heading towards winter, but I also don't want to be looking for the right boat into the middle of summer next year either. Thanks for the reply!
Old 10-02-2014, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had would have to disagree with scarabman. I had a single engine 29 and it was a great boat but as far as balance in the rough stuff the twin screw seemed to handle better than mine did. And i prefer singles over duals for most part.
I ALSO WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND FUEL INJECTION OVER CARBED AND DEFINITELY BRAVO ONES
Old 10-02-2014, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The twins will handle better anywhere, but at a greater cost.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, Alphas can only handle up to 320hp. The Bravo can handle up to 450hp and little more.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Registered

I have a 96 29 Scarab with twin carbed 350's w/ alpha drives. I have 144 b&m blowers on my 350's and have not had any problems. I love the boat it takes rough water great for its size. I am located in South Louisiana and boat in lakes, bayou's, and the Gulf and it handles all great. A couple of my friends tried to steer me away from the alpha's but if you plan on leaving them stock its a perfect combination. Older twin carbed 350's will run anywhere from 64-68 mph depending on load. My boat runs mid 70's with my setup, but I will warn you if you are looking for speed this not the hull you want they are good for 65-75 mph boats. Now the P-29 is whole different animal you can see 80-90 mph with the correct engine setup. Now if you get the fuel injected twin 350's stock you should see top speed 68-72 mph depending on load.

Overall they are great solid boats we participate in many local poker runs (LA, MS, & FL) and do just fine with those speeds. Just make sure you have the transom and stringers checked before buying any boat .
Old 10-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Registered

Also just curious do you have a picture of the one that you are looking at?