Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
New 29' Scarab >

New 29' Scarab

Notices

New 29' Scarab

Old 01-15-2016, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably not even though it has all the nssasary towing and brake upgrades to handle it from here to the boat ramp ( 3 miles from the shop) I will most likely store at a marina closer to where we like to put in at Boca Grande. I have a few different 1 ton trucks to utilize for any kind of long distant towing.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua
Looking good, congratulations! Flag Ship Marine don't happen to have another one with 3 hours on it hiding in a shed......?

Is that trailer a bit short? Maybe the winch post needs to come forward a bit. Just looks like her bum is hanging out a long way....

Great find.

RR
There is a 35' Cigarette Mistress that with 12 hours on it. It belong to the prince of Bahrain but was sent back to Flagship when his mechanic died ( some kind of superstition thing) anyway, it is rigged to run over 110 mph with twin 575 cu high decks and speed 3 out drives on it. They told me during testing it would "cruise" at 60 mph at 3200 rpm so that's about all I know about it. I looks like a new 1982 Cigarette inside and out.
Give them a call and ask for Steve if you want to look at it.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:15 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 559 Posts

Nice looking boat!
Be sure to scoot that thing a bit further up the trailer so the whole boat including the transom is supported. All that suspended weight, way off the transom without it being supported on the bunks is bad news. You may have to cut a relief in the bunk for the transom water pickup.

I've posted my thoughts on surge brakes many times on the forum. Even if you are going to tow long distance with a 1-ton; EoH are the best money you can buy for any towing setup. There is no such thing as "overkill braking".

And last bit of advice, that winch stand could bite you one day, more specifically, it could bit the bow of the boat if you are on a steep ramp.
I'd advise swapping out to a 2-piece bow stand and winch setup.
Two threads, one with experience on same hull as you:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...i-can-get.html
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ler-winch.html
V-block winch stands are infinitely better than any roller setup. Even though in that first thread, the OP stuck with a roller setup; I'd still try to find way to setup a V-block winch stand. I've loaded the exact same boat/hull on many trailers, and it's worth the money/time/investment.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,168 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by RhinoRob
There is a 35' Cigarette Mistress that with 12 hours on it. It belong to the prince of Bahrain but was sent back to Flagship when his mechanic died ( some kind of superstition thing) anyway, it is rigged to run over 110 mph with twin 575 cu high decks and speed 3 out drives on it. They told me during testing it would "cruise" at 60 mph at 3200 rpm so that's about all I know about it. I looks like a new 1982 Cigarette inside and out.
Give them a call and ask for Steve if you want to look at it.
I thought you were going to buy that one as well! Haha.

If it was on my doorstep I'd be right there. Getting a boat to my side of the globe, the Cig is probably a bit much boat for me right now but that Scarab......?? Looks like a great find.

RR (a little envious)
Old 01-15-2016, 06:32 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the help and advice.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua
I thought you were going to buy that one as well! Haha.

If it was on my doorstep I'd be right there. Getting a boat to my side of the globe, the Cig is probably a bit much boat for me right now but that Scarab......?? Looks like a great find.

RR (a little envious)
I was honestly thinking of it but I had an 87, 34' Scarab with twins a few years ago and just not enough room or time to run both but may buy it just to flip it. Thanks for the all the help and compliments on the little scarab.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 75 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyeater
Do you intend to tow with the Jeep all the time ?
Exactly what I was thinking! I pulled my 25ol with my JKU, but would never had taken her on the hwy! Rated at 3500#!
Old 01-16-2016, 07:45 PM
Registered

Took her out for a shake down cruise today and much to my amazement, no hiccups. It runs and handles like dream! I have a 4 blade prop we going to test out I would like to see if I can get a little more bite taking off but other then that it jumps up on plane and hauls ass!
Old 02-05-2016, 08:19 PM
Registered

Took it out Tuesday when we had the 84 degree day down here in S. FL and tested out the new four blade prop, all I can say is wow! It performed like a thoroughbred. The way it was rigged is perfect for the Gulf especially with the out drive set up, it make it ride higher in the water on plane and slices through a 3 foot chop like its flat water.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 182 Likes on 89 Posts

congrats!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.