Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Notices

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Old 12-18-2022, 07:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
I presume those center rams are for steering ? hows that push pull going to work with the rams almost straight out, parallel from the mounting points to the tie bar. have you tested it ?
No I haven’t run the steering yet, haven’t gotten my steering hoses made yet. But this same setup has been run on a lot of other boats so I expect it to work fine.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,271 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Originally Posted by hblair
No I haven’t run the steering yet, haven’t gotten my steering hoses made yet. But this same setup has been run on a lot of other boats so I expect it to work fine.
Ya, I knew the answer before I asked it.......just looks like it would bind in my simple thinking.....boats turning out awesome
Old 12-18-2022, 08:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Ya, I knew the answer before I asked it.......just looks like it would bind in my simple thinking.....boats turning out awesome
Thanks, yes I’m with you it does look like it would bind. Here’s to hoping it won’t 🥂😀
Old 12-23-2022, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 499 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by hblair
Haven’t had time to work on the boat lately but did some surgery on the winch stand on the trailer today. I lowered the winch and the bumper pad bracket and extended it backwards. I plan to float the boat soon before I finalize the welds and paint this again. This trailer was originally built for an outerlimits 42 footer

That looos good ; betcha your pretty damn close if not perfect.

The winch is higher than bow eye, helps get boat seated all the way up without cranking down loading the tongue only to find out it's still 4 inches away from the bow stop when the winch is unsprung on level ground
The bow stop is low enough to not hit the rub rail on the way on/off.

this is the year buddy you got 5 months to wrap it up, quit working on all those crashed cars they're slowin ya down

Last edited by outonsafari; 12-23-2022 at 06:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MikeScarab28XLT (12-24-2022)
Old 01-02-2023, 05:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks a lot. I hope it’s pretty close. You’re right the shop does interfere with my hobby. 😂

We were able to work some today although I didn’t get much done. My plan was to swap the out drives so they’d be turning in instead of turning out. I was advised that turning in is the best way to go with my application.

I also planned to grease the u joints while the drives were off (I had forgotten to get this done while it was apart) as I couldn’t quite get to the fittings with the drives on the boat. I finally got the drive pins out (the port one gaulded and took a good hour and a half to work loose). I pulled the starboard drive off the boat and was ready to grease the joints, I then broke my only grease gun so had to run to town buy another. Finally found a pneumatic one at Oreillys, get back to the shop, naturally the air fitting is not the same as what we use, and yes it also gaulded coming out. Finally got that fixed up and lubed the starboard u joints. I gave up and went home after that.

On a positive note Shon did get the nav lights going. They are led and put out a lot of light. I like these bow lights better than the later ones on the deck. Also got a nifty underwater led drain plug at the stern..

rak rua (01-03-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 495 Likes on 271 Posts

we run arnsons asd8s and our steering rams are outboard with a lot of angle i have never seen your setup before i would question its ability to turn under load?
Old 01-02-2023, 11:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Rik at arneson configured this setup for me. The “obsession” and “all fired up” scarabs look like their setups have less angle than mine does..

Old 01-03-2023, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 534 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by boostbros
we run arnsons asd8s and our steering rams are outboard with a lot of angle i have never seen your setup before i would question its ability to turn under load?
At first glance I'm with you.
But have you ever seen the extreme mechanical disadvantage some dump bed scissor mechanisms have in order to obtain lots of travel out of a short stroke cylinder?
It's boggling and proves the force of hydraulics.

And proof in theory is Mercury's ITS transom.
The steering cylinders have no or minimal angle to the drive when it's straight.
hogie roll (01-25-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,271 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Originally Posted by cheech
At first glance I'm with you.
But have you ever seen the extreme mechanical disadvantage some dump bed scissor mechanisms have in order to obtain lots of travel out of a short stroke cylinder?
It's boggling and proves the force of hydraulics.

And proof in theory is Mercury's ITS transom.
The steering cylinders have no or minimal angle to the drive when it's straight.
but on the ITS each drive has two rams, push / pull
Old 01-03-2023, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 399 Likes on 147 Posts

On the v bottoms running Arnson's if you have the steering rams on the out side they drag thru the water we did a 38 fastec Formula years ago that had the rams on the out side and the dragged so badly that the boat didn't run worth a damn. We got with Rick at Arnson and moved them inboard and the boat came alive.
The following 2 users liked this post by Team Archer:
hblair (01-03-2023), hogie roll (01-25-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.