Finally 65mph with a small block

Notices

Finally 65mph with a small block

Old 08-26-2017, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally 65mph with a small block

Hi Guys!
Have a 1989 Scarab 21 Excel originally with 350 Magnum. Have built my own 350 with Edelbrock performer aluminum heads, Comp cams Extreme marine cam and roller lifters, 4 Bolt block, high volume oil pump, Edelbrock air gap intake, Holley 650 marine carb. 8" X 3" high flow flame arrestor, MSD pro billet marine dist. with 6ML box and blaster coil, Aluminum exhaust through transom. Alpha one drive with shower and Mercury Mirage 23P prop. At 40mph 3500rpm then to full throttle pulls hard to 4800rpm and finishes off at 65mph on GPS. I think with the drive and being a small block, that's about it. Played with a few jet skis and had fun but they couldn't handle wakes or heavy chop. Unless I'm missing something like a BBC and Bravo, I'm happy with the outcome. I'm here to tell you that there's no substitute for CI. Cost me a little bit to gain 10mph. Thoughts?
Old 09-27-2017, 06:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 330 Posts

The things we do for mph. Way to go.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Wish I had your talents to do this type of stuff.

Be safe

3pointstar
Old 09-28-2017, 07:27 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,353 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Donhollys15 - welcome to The Small Block Nation. Good to see you having fun, mid 60's in a small boat can be quite exciting at times. As far as more speed without going to a larger motor, keep your spirits a little higher. Although it may take you a year or two or three, you may be able to find an AlphaSS.

Most small boats with small block power gain 5 or more MPH just by the swap. It is a direct swap for Alpha Gen 1's...not so much for Gen II's. Your's should be a Gen 1 unless it got changed in some point.

BTW: There is an underground community of small boats with NA small blocks doing pretty well with speeds.Some well into the 80's. Can PM me and I'll point you there.

Last edited by SB; 09-28-2017 at 07:37 AM.