Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
1986 Scarab II 29’ resto >

1986 Scarab II 29’ resto

Notices

1986 Scarab II 29’ resto

Old 08-05-2023, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

I can’t post pictures yet, I need a few more posts. I looked at the trans this morning. They each have a T-handle cap with a dipstick on the top port side of the case. Both are filled with ATF.

Does that help identify which they are?
Old 08-05-2023, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts

Have a look at these photos. Keep in mind the round output end gets placed into the transom plate, and acts as the gimbal bearing, supporting the trans end of the trs input shaft universal joints.

1st photo is Velvet Drive.
2nd photo is Merctrans.

With the T-handle dipstick description...you likely have a Velvet drive.
​​​​
Stronger trans if it's the 72c version vs the 71 series.

Parts should be very easy to source. Gaskets seals bearings etc.
The following users liked this post:
hblair (09-18-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 03:55 PM
Registered

Yup it’s definitely the velvet drive. Thank you very much sir! Id be happy to take a copy of a service manual if you have one.

My next order of business is figuring out why the Stbd engine won’t crank. It turns over fine if I do the ol’ screwdriver bridge trick on the solenoid. The key won’t turn it over though.

The port engine cranked over for about 2 revolutions, then started the solenoid clicking indicitive of a low battery. It’s got 2 brand new batteries.

I’m really considering pulling out every last inch of wiring and starting from absolute zero.
Old 08-05-2023, 04:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jumpjets
Yup it’s definitely the velvet drive. Thank you very much sir! Id be happy to take a copy of a service manual if you have one.

My next order of business is figuring out why the Stbd engine won’t crank. It turns over fine if I do the ol’ screwdriver bridge trick on the solenoid. The key won’t turn it over though.

The port engine cranked over for about 2 revolutions, then started the solenoid clicking indicitive of a low battery. It’s got 2 brand new batteries.

I’m really considering pulling out every last inch of wiring and starting from absolute zero.
Of course confirm the batts are properly charged and up to the task.

First thing...check the ground connections...and batt terminals.

Ground: Basic obvious good clean metal and use sandpaper to expose fresh copper on the connector.

Batt: Depending on the connector style, wing nut post lead post. Use the ib/outside batt terminal wire brush cleaner.

I like to use bit of grease to arrest any potential oxidation. Works amazingly well...even for the batt terminals.

1983ScarabIII (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 04:41 PM
Registered

Service manual. Roger that. Send me your email, and I'll send you the manual for the Velvet Drive TRS...the TRS drive and confirm what engine you have...I'll see if I can find that as well.

I don't have access to them on my phone...so it will be a couple days 'till I get back home.

Art
Old 08-05-2023, 05:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tartilla
Service manual. Roger that. Send me your email, and I'll send you the manual for the Velvet Drive TRS...the TRS drive and confirm what engine you have...I'll see if I can find that as well.

I don't have access to them on my phone...so it will be a couple days 'till I get back home.

Art
I need to spam the forum with 3 more posts, then I’ll earn DM and photo posting privileges privileges.

My engines are mercruiser 454s. They are custom built, but they have factory-looking Rochester carbs on top.
Old 08-05-2023, 06:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jumpjets
I need to spam the forum with 3 more posts, then I’ll earn DM and photo posting privileges privileges.

My engines are mercruiser 454s. They are custom built, but they have factory-looking Rochester carbs on top.
Check...nice to have info on the accessories as well. Starter, alt, power steering pump etc. What year is the drive/engine if you know?
​​
​​Just use this thread to post 3x...to get your 10 posts.
Old 08-05-2023, 07:58 PM
Registered

As far as I know, everything is 1986.
Old 08-06-2023, 10:05 AM
Registered

I spent the day yesterday gutting wires out of the dash and taking the helm apart. I tried to cut as few wires as I could. It looks like it was mostly factory original wiring, but there were some hack-job quick fixes in there as well. There must be a quarter mile of wire just in the helm.
Old 08-06-2023, 10:11 AM
Registered

The exterior is in better shape than I thought. The top white area needs a heavy cut and polish/wax to shine again. The rest of the boat really just needs a wash & wax.

TRS drives. Looks like they spin in opposite directions. Do the motors spin in opposite directions too? Or do the transmissions take care of that?

hblair (09-18-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.