Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Scarab Panther Questions >

Scarab Panther Questions

Notices

Scarab Panther Questions

Old 12-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 1,249 Likes on 604 Posts

Does anybody have any suggestions to help reduce the pounding you take in regards to maybe a prop selection. More bow lift? stern lift? Minimum k-planes lengths?

I have tried 4 blade 25 pitch cleavers to help get out of the hole better, excellent choice for that. but it seemed to push my bow down and go through the middle of the wave. also lost to many mph's.

I'll be rewiring my k-planes so they will usable for next season.

Any info on the setups of all of you panther owners would be greatly appreciated. I have '86 panther, 454's built a little, TRS, old 3 blade ? brand props @ 25pitch, 5100 rpm's @ 71.6 gps

Thanks

Last edited by Rookie; 07-19-2010 at 10:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Xcal24 (05-29-2023)
Old 12-05-2003, 05:12 PM
ridethis

Default FOR SALE

I HAVE A 1989 SCARAB PANTHER THAT IS ALMOST REDONE I THINK IM GOING TO SELL IT ANY SUGGESTIONS

Old 12-07-2003, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know your location, - Where is the boat? What will be your asking price?

My Panther has gotten lots of interest in the short months I've owned it so far. Pictures showing condition are sometimes better than pages of description. If you E-mail pics I'll show them to friends who have places at LOTO and can get the word out in case your boat is anywhere near there.

St. Louis' Boat show is coming soon and the buying fever builds from there for next season.

Besides, I would appreciate any shots of your Panther for archive reference for myself.

[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails Scarab Panther Questions-101203-slipped-scarab-2.jpg  
Old 07-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Registered

Default Help needed

Originally Posted by Panther
The mid 80's Panthers had problems with the bottom. They didn't overlay the glass to well on the keel, thus it made the center of the boat weak. You will see a lot of stress cracks just under the lower chines on both sides. The later 80's Panthers didn't have this problem. I have an 86' Panther with 550's and the boat runs close to 80mph with TRS'.

I would go with the 86, since it may have Bravo's??? It is a fun boat to drive, but maybe a little too much pounding in the rough stuff. Of course size is a factor, but I have riden in a lot of 30 footers, and the Panther definetely qualifies as a pounder with the TRS setup. I haven't driven a Panther with Bravos, so that may be different.

Other than that, they handle well, and are very predictable. Re-entry is predictable, and you know when the boat is going to leave the water (at least I know, unlike others who can't drive).

If you have any particular questions don't hesitate to ask? I have had mine for over 4 years. I have done a lot of work to it, including blue printing the bottom, and a lot of work with the keel because of delam from what I mentioned above..

Panther
Would you be able to contact me to discuss what props you are using? Email address is [email protected]. Denny
Old 07-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Denscarab
Would you be able to contact me to discuss what props you are using? Email address is [email protected]. Denny
Are you freinds with Jersey Steve? He asked me some questions as well, just sounds like you may know him.

I don't own the Panther anymore but I'll send you an email with my contact info and would be happy to help if I can.

Frank

Last edited by Panther; 07-20-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Registered

You said that you had your 30' scarab in the upper 90's what type and pitch of propps were you running? I have a 88 panther with the 365 hp upgradded factory motors and bravo drives. I would appreciate all the information on the things I need to do to reach the 100 mph + mark. If it is possiable. I do know every thing is possiable with enough money, I'm talking with surpassing the value of my boat.