Scarab 34 Project Pics

Notices

Scarab 34 Project Pics

Old 02-24-2005, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Scarab 34 Project Pics

Jack Hammer,
I got an idea that I want to run by you. I came accross some PVC sheeting. It comes in sizes frome 1/4" to 1" and is very plyable. I think that that would be an option for your fairing. I am using it now for my rear bench seats. What do you think?
Old 02-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Guilderoy, I'm no expert by any stretch but my experience is that PVC is brittle (chips easy when drilling and cutting). My last attempt I used a material similar to PVC but soft as lexan (the name escapes me). I got the fairing good enough to take in public and was happy. Unfortunately I had a black cockpit cover that magnified the texas sun and warped the fairing beyond fubar.

It's in the shop now getting a new transom and stringers (and dash). Part of the deal was getting help from the glass guy so I could try the fairing project again. One thing I didn't like was how tall the fairing was using the old lines... I've knocked off at least 3 inchs from the height. I'll start posting pic's too.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a couple pics of what I'm trying to do... now you know why I start with a paper plan. The pic on the inside shows I'm clueless as to how this will end up... All I know is I want some mids and tweeters up there. I was at first going to try to put a 1.5" angled (beveled) edge on the top like the Top Gun, but ran out of popcycle sticks. I taped up the flat peice just for a look see... it might work(?)

The outside shot shows where I plan to cut down the existing sides... the line will be lowered (compared to a transom, this'll be cake)

The back section is blocked off because it's under the knife getting new transom and stringers.
Attached Thumbnails Scarab 34 Project Pics-fairing-6-oso.jpg   Scarab 34 Project Pics-fairing-8-oso.jpg  
Old 03-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Registered

This is how my '87 project turned out. Still things to do with the cabin...also haven't figured out what to do with the windshield...any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Scarab 34 Project Pics-sivu.jpg   Scarab 34 Project Pics-takaa.jpg   Scarab 34 Project Pics-sis%E4.jpg  

Old 03-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Registered

Hammer,

That shield looks like it would turn out nicely. I actually like it better thatn mine. I have a few flaws in how mine was laid up, but I guess i'll have to live with it. I was actually planning to cut down my sides to also give it a low pro look but I opted to use the standard height and taper it off instead of following the agles. I want to see how yours comes out when its done.

FENDARI

I like your project. what do you have for power? AS far as a sheild. What do you guys think about stabboard?
Old 03-05-2005, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Scarab3DMC
Love'em boys...heres mine...its a 83/ with 96 crate 502's...last year I added..Wieland 177's w/1050 Dominators picked up 14 MPH..went from 22'' pitch Q-4's to 28'' pitch..
Just wondering, What power did you have when you started, and how fast were you going? I have a 87 with 370 hps and trs's it go's 63 on gps now. Mine was a special order kevlar hull. My goal is to break a 100 with it before I move on to another. Just trying to get an idea of what other 34's are doing. I haven't had another 34 in front of me yet so I'm thinking that alot of them are underpowered. I love the way it handles. It's a blast in poker runs. It surprises alot of people. Right now its all black with white interior. I re did the dash with polished aluminum and gaffrig gauges with red bezels. Its a pain to keep clean, I think I'm going to powder coat it white. When i get the ambition to upgrade my member ship I will post pics. Its defiantly one of a kind. If anyone boats in the 1000 islands they know which one it is, "Surrender the booty" Can't wait to upgrade to see all the pics of the other 34's.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Scarabman, we have talked before,, anyways, I started with stock 1996 crate 502's.. w/ 750 holleys, stainless marine exhaust, Alum. intake, upgraded ignition..the boat is a 83.. so still TRS drives and Borg warner trans...I was spinnin labbed 22'' Q-IV's @ 5ooo rpm 62 Mph on gps... (down hill with a tail wind)...LOL... fully loaded w/ wife /kids/fuel.. more like 59-60 max.....now with the blowers...mid 70's .all day...Wow 100 good luck..have at it!!!!
Old 03-06-2005, 07:00 PM

Yeah , I remember now. Thats a sharp looking boat if I remember right. When I get upgraded I will be able to see it. I think 100 is possible with my hull. I'm figuring 1000hp a piece should get it there. If not, It sure will be fun trying. I'll start with the motors then change trannies and out drives when needed.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Registered

Guilderoy, it has MCM 370's and TRS B&W trannies. The engines were rebuilt last winter with some minor mods. It could really use some more bunch...
Old 03-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Registered

Scarab with new DBD Drives. This is a pic of a 30 scarab in sweeden that is running Marine Diesel 300 hp with DBD stern drives. Says to have done 82 mph.

Whats your take on these drives? I'm rigging my scarab now and I wanted to try them as an alternate to Mercs.
Attached Thumbnails Scarab 34 Project Pics-dbd1.jpg   Scarab 34 Project Pics-dbd2.jpg   Scarab 34 Project Pics-dbd7.jpg  

Quick Reply: Scarab 34 Project Pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.