Another Oil Thread - Amazon Basics 20w50 >

Another Oil Thread - Amazon Basics 20w50

Notices

Another Oil Thread - Amazon Basics 20w50

Old 02-25-2019, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
what weight mobil 1 do you guys get at walmart? .
15w50
Old 02-25-2019, 09:16 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

It has an SN Plus rating while most oils have the SN rating. Not sure why. What weight mobil 1 do you guys get at Walmart? The Amazon 20w40 is $20 delivered to your door for a 5 qt. jug. If it's on par with Valvoline VR1 then it would be convenient to switch.

Post # 4 tells you why the SN Plus and the Plus means persay help to combat against LOW SPEED PRE IGNITION for GDI engines.

The additive package for the SN PLUS is different than the non PLUS oils. If I recall correctly its way lower calcium additive and an added of something else.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts

I always thought regular oils don`t have as much zinc, etc. because of cats and emissions, thats why racing oil was better since we don`t have cats nd need the extra zinc.

On the flip side I thought racing oil didn`t have as many detergents which isn`t good either.

I know my engine builder likes Bradd Penn 40 weight oil in all their racecars and he says whenever engine comes back bearings look great.

He did not like my 50 weight oil choice even with larger clearances.

I used good oil (bradd penn, Mobil 1, schaefers..mostly straight 50) and changed often and my bearings looked like **** .. so I really have no idea what to use lol

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 02-25-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:58 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

^^^^^^ I might have the possible solution coming soon for improved lubrication. ^^^^^^^ I should actually say it is coming but do not have a timeframe as of yet.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I always thought regular oils don`t have as much zinc, etc. because of cats and emissions, thats why racing oil was better since we don`t have cats nd need the extra zinc.

On the flip side I thought racing oil didn`t have as many detergents which isn`t good either.

I know my engine builder likes Bradd Penn 40 weight oil in all their racecars and he says whenever engine comes back bearings look great.

He did not like my 50 weight oil choice even with larger clearances.

I used good oil (bradd penn, Mobil 1, schaefers..mostly straight 50) and changed often and my bearings looked like **** .. so I really have no idea what to use lol

IMO its the filters. In a car it primes in 2 seconds. The fact that its upside down on my boat and its one of those WIX 1.5 or maybe some of you have 2 quart filters the engine is running dry. My oil pressure gauge doesnt move on startup after an oil change for 8-10 seconds.

Last time I was working on the boat I threaded a "T" in with a cap to prime it. I am doing an oil change soon and will let ya'll know if it helps.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
God I love oil threads...
As do I! Just buy Valvoline VR 1 Racing oil, change it every 25 or so hours and enjoy the same service life that I have experienced for some 30+ years. Never a failure, and never a surprise on any teardown done. Buy good quality oil, change it often, you will not be disappointed.

Oil is cheap! Parts are not!!
Old 02-25-2019, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 1,249 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by [b
ITUCHPEPEs]

I rebuilt my engines last spring. I had hundreds of hours on the bottom ends, 6500RPM's for a bunch of those years. I built them in 2006, 2017 I spent the first half of the year running a gallon+ of water with my oil. (poker run and 2 fun runs) from a cracked block. Mobil 1 15-50 and Mobil 1 oil filters, I ran a few Purolator Pure Ones also. Cold engines larger tolerances, block bypass always plugged, everything goes through the filter. I contemplated for a few minutes about using the bearing over...

Last edited by Rookie; 02-25-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL

You should try driving it like a Bayliner with old Crusader motors instead of Chuck Norris in the Popeyes boat. Those sticks are throttles, not light switches. Lol!
Old 02-25-2019, 08:36 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Lots of unsponsored YouTube videos are raving about the new line of Amazon Basics engine oil. All the reviews are of the lighter weight synthetic oils which prove to be very good. I'm switching 3 of my cars to the synthetic oil. I bought Amazon Basics 20w50 conventional oil for the '82 Mustang hot rod.These oils have the highest ratings but no one has figured out who makes it yet. Anyway I'm wondering how this new oil stands up to Valvoline VR1 20w50 and if it would be good oil to run in the 525 EFI. Any thoughts?
It says right on your pics on the rear label. LOL.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:11 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SB
It says right on your pics on the rear label. LOL.
LOL again, I'm not changing from v-twin for big blocks and 4t for high revving small blocks and seadoos, carry on...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.