Turbine 101

Notices

Turbine 101

Old 10-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT
I see billet combuster housings.
James hooked me up. Shipping the other engine out to be gone over as well.

Again, Jeri, smaller diameter props so you lessen some pressre on that drive train. You will not lose any top end only acceleration.

Since I went to smaller diameter props I have not bent, broke or sheared anything for two years.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey dennis I did a search on the boat named JAWS and apparently it was seen during transport not to long ago. I think it might be the next contestant on the price is right becouse as you know the price is right. Remember it's who's first that get's paid and who's first that get's laid.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I hate to remind you, but that was the reason on page three I advised using containment blankets on you engines, next time you may not be so lucky and somebody my get hurt if the N2 lets go.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am happy to report that the over speed governor did it's job very well and the engine only had a small amount of damage. Everything in the engine was in pretty good condition. The onlt piece that broke was a piece of the PT sealing flange and it caused some FOD in the hot section. None of the blades broke however we replaced them as to not compromise the integrity of the engine. I agree with taking as many safety precautions as possible it was just nice to know that you can loose all load at power and the engine will respond very quickly to restrict fuel flow and prevent catastrophic failure.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 999JAY
I hate to remind you, but that was the reason on page three I advised using containment blankets on you engines, next time you may not be so lucky and somebody my get hurt if the N2 lets go.
Would you beleave I actually thought of your post minutes after it happened. Right after putting out the two fires
one was the CV Axle and the other was from the cv ball
ejecting through its collar and landing on a rag

The amount of vibration that occured was incredible.
Although it is speculation that may have been the reason for
the sealing PT flange that fractured.

This motor continued to run all the way back to the dock.
Its the power steering motor.

Where can I get the blankets?
Old 10-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I am over her in the UK and sourced my blankets through the European tractor pulling teams.
I would suggest contacting one of the tractor pulling teams in the USA, you will find the blankets they use come with a certificate to guarantee there effectiveness and work out fairly inexpensive.
I know that the turbines are very reliable and rarely let go but for the cost of the containment blankets it cheap insurance.
The rest of the drive line is always the weak link and I would go with menaces advice and reduce the prop size to reduce the torque on you drive train.

PS It might be worth putting the electric steering pump back in as a backup system.

J

Last edited by 999JAY; 10-24-2009 at 05:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
I'CE (05-14-2020)
Old 10-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 999JAY
I am over her in the UK and sourced my blankets through the european tractor pulling teams.
I would suggest contacting one of the tractor pulling teams in the USA, you will find the blankets they use come with a certificate to guarantee there effectiveness and work out fairly inexpensive.
I know that the turbines are very reliable and rarely let go but for the cost of the containment blankets it cheap insurance.
The rest of the drive line is always the weak link and I would go with menaces advice and reduce the prop size to reduce the torque on you drive train.

J
Agreed!

When I smash the throttles she is pulling close to 90psi
on the torque gauge.

Jim where does that put me on foot lbs of torque?
Old 10-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that you strengthened the line shaft all the pressure will focus on the next weakest link. #6'S aren't cheap and the lead time to have one repaired is catastrophic in itself.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by The Menace
Now that you strengthened the line shaft all the pressure will focus on the next weakest link. #6'S aren't cheap and the lead time to have one repaired is catastrophic in itself.
#6,s Are weak. Thats why I am looking for Arnesons.

I am running 16 diamiter 40 pitch. When I lost the 37
I had these for backup. I am thinking 16x37.

The tall pitch of the 40 is loading the drivetrain
Old 10-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Knot-Right,

I just read this entire thread and quite impressive! A few questions if you have the time!

Compared to the piston engines minus all the rigging work what do you think the cost difference was. What does the actual turbine cost to purchase and have reworked so its ready to use?

In the videos that you posted like the fall river run. Did those videos include the sound elimination doors when you were leaving the docks?

Has anybody given you any lip about the noise when you pull into a marina?

Impressive project! atleast the boat lives up to its name!

...Jim

Quick Reply: Turbine 101

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.