That Black cloud !!! >

That Black cloud !!!

Notices

That Black cloud !!!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That Black cloud !!!

So ever scince I got my boat i noticed that the right engine seems to be burning fuel considerably faster then the left. Started out that if both tanks were close to empty and I put $200 in each tank (which brings me to a half full on the gauges) I would run all day and at by days end the right engine would be empty and the left just under a 1/4 tank.

I have mentioned it to the mechanic and he said everything seems to check out and maybe the gauge is a little off.

This weekend as I started out the left engine showed 1/2 full and the right one was on E. I put $200 only in the right side which had the gauges reading dead even at 1/2 a tank.

By the end of my nice 5 hour run the left tank is on 1/4 the right is totally on E. Obviously the problam is getting worse.

Both engines seem to be runnin tight. The RPM's are equal, speed seems ok.

So here is my question / FEAR, is it possible for 1 outboard to seem to run good but burn more than double the fuel of its counterpart or (arrrrggggg) do I have a leak in my tank ??

If it is a leak I have smelled nothing out of the ordinary and have seen no sign of it.

Any advice/info is appreciated.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

If your lucky you have a crossover valve that is slightly open on the fuel system. I had one put in because I once ran out of gas on one tank and had to idle in because I couldn't plane on one engine.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh yeah. By the way. How are those fancy new 5 blade props. Did they work magic. I would be interested. I have 4 blade merc labbed cleavers now.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check the output of your electric fuel pumps that feed your motors. On my 32' the four electric holly fuel pumps feed a central reservior that had returns going to each tank. When I got my boat I had the same problem my right tank would use twice as much fuel as my left. I found three out of my four fuel pumps were bad. They still pumped fuel, but not the volume or pressure of the good pump. I would pull your fuel lines off going to your motors and observe the fuel flow out of each pump, I would also put a fuel pressure gauge on the pumps and make sure you get good pressure. (I think my holly blue pumps are around 10.0psi, when I tested my bad ones they were around 2.0psi and they only trickled out fuel)

Carl