36 Skater Project >

36 Skater Project

Notices

36 Skater Project

Old 10-31-2016, 06:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If this is the case, I'd do everything I could to make certain the front is as light as possible. No batteries, stereo, amplifiers, speakers, fire extinguishers, etc. mounted forward up under the bow. And I'd make certain everything in the bilge is mounted all the way back at the transom.

Yes, you can have a party barge, or extra speed, but not both... with twin outboards. Just my opinion ��
Old 10-31-2016, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero Patience
If this is the case, I'd do everything I could to make certain the front is as light as possible. No batteries, stereo, amplifiers, speakers, fire extinguishers, etc. mounted forward up under the bow. And I'd make certain everything in the bilge is mounted all the way back at the transom.

Yes, you can have a party barge, or extra speed, but not both... with twin outboards. Just my opinion ��
And don't forget to put Helium in the fenders!!! Right Jim!
Old 11-01-2016, 02:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Skater30
Hey David, the front Skater seats weigh 55 #s apiece, and the rear Skater bench is typically around 150#s. That's 250+ #s total. The lightweight Skater seats in my 30 only weigh 27 #s each, for a total of 135#s. And the actual Sparco racecar seats that my lightweight Skater seats are based on are only 15#s apiece - but that's a lot of work and money to save just over 100#s. The best trick I know of right now is going with Li-Ion batteries. I just picked up a pair of Group 34 Li-Ion batteries with 1,000MCA for my 30. They only weigh 17#s each! The batteries Pete is currently putting in the boats with 400Rs weigh 65#s apiece. It was well worth spending $3,000.00 on batteries to save 100#s in my 30 now that it's going to have a couple outboards hanging off the back. And as a general rule of thumb, you'll see about a 1mph gain for every 100#s you lighten up the boat - depending mostly on where you lose the weight out of the boat. If you pull 100#s out from under the bow, you'd probably pick up 2-3mph, if you pull 100#s out near the transom, you probably wouldn't even notice the speed gain. From my understanding of your rig, from what I remember reading in your old posts, you're boat has typically had a tough time carrying the bow to free up and gain top end. If this is the case, I'd do everything I could to make certain the front is as light as possible. No batteries, stereo, amplifiers, speakers, fire extinguishers, etc. mounted forward up under the bow. And I'd make certain everything in the bilge is mounted all the way back at the transom. I believe you're boat is running flat because of all the lift of four props carrying the transom - if I remember correctly?
Thanks, thats what im looking for seatwise. With the lighter seats, does ride comfort suffer much? I boat on inland lakes, no 3-5 ft rollers, but wait there is Loto, right after race day over!
Also im going to go hunting up inside the bow to trim some fat Lol
I know theres an aluminum ballast tank that Peter had built in the bow way up front. its not heavy but still since its so far forward I wonder if it'd be worth cutting the thing out.
20 lbs or so can exert some serious leverage up there . It is "glassed in"so id have to perform an operation of sorts to get it out
And yes the boat rides flat. What do you guys think of running the hering round ear props. Im running the merc 3 blade 15x34 labbed cleavers.
I had them cupped this year by DAH. It didnt have any effect on top speed though, it stayed right at 122 just as before with no change in rpm. 8000
With the bow flying low the way it does, ive thought about trying the herings. It be nice to be able to try first though before spending on 4 new props.
Any thoughts here would be appreciated, keep them coming

Last edited by davidmercury; 11-01-2016 at 02:34 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Man you are up late thinking about this stuff!

Question 1. are you sure that ballast tank is empty? Lol

Observation 1. I had the same issue when is did my Flat deck. The BBlade Bravo props gave th best bow lift and had comparable speeds.

Cure 1. A set of 400Rs cure my problems
Old 11-01-2016, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 855 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by da*****rcury
Thanks, thats what im looking for seatwise. With the lighter seats, does ride comfort suffer much? I boat on inland lakes, no 3-5 ft rollers, but wait there is Loto, right after race day over!
Also im going to go hunting up inside the bow to trim some fat Lol
I know theres an aluminum ballast tank that Peter had built in the bow way up front. its not heavy but still since its so far forward I wonder if it'd be worth cutting the thing out.
20 lbs or so can exert some serious leverage up there . It is "glassed in"so id have to perform an operation of sorts to get it out
And yes the boat rides flat. What do you guys think of running the hering round ear props. Im running the merc 3 blade 15x34 labbed cleavers.
I had them cupped this year by DAH. It didnt have any effect on top speed though, it stayed right at 122 just as before with no change in rpm. 8000
With the bow flying low the way it does, ive thought about trying the herings. It be nice to be able to try first though before spending on 4 new props.
Any thoughts here would be appreciated, keep them coming
Hey David, the seats are actually much more comfortable in the rough, as they are layed back at a lot greater angle than the standard Skater seats - which puts less pressure vertically on your back when landing off swells. I also run Tiger Performance Velcro lap belts with them that keeps me and all my passengers secure - nobody has to "hang on" to stay nice and planted in their seats. I too am pulling any/all weight out of the front of my 30. I originally had Pete build a flat floor up under the hatch in my deck - we are removing it now that I'll have outboards. I'm pulling my fire extinguishers out from under the front deck also, as well as removing the large lifting mount that is up under the front hatch. I'm guessing we'll pull 50 #s out from under the deck that will help in our quest for speed with only HALF the hp the boat had before. I don't remember all the changes you made to your transom either, but did you notice the large notch on the back of the new 368 being built for Matt Rice? I'm certain that boat is even lighter than yours, the two 400Rs weigh close to as much as your four 2.5s (with much less transom lift with only two props), yet Pete still put a large notch that looks to run at least 18" forward from the transom. What are you currently running for setback on your 2.5s? I don't think props are going to make a drastic enough change for what you're looking for, as it sounds to me like you're already running the correct props.
Attached Thumbnails 36 Skater Project-img_4420.jpg   36 Skater Project-img_4424.jpg  

Last edited by Skater30; 11-01-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by skate
Man you are up late thinking about this stuff!

Question 1. are you sure that ballast tank is empty? Lol

Observation 1. I had the same issue when is did my Flat deck. The BBlade Bravo props gave th best bow lift and had comparable speeds.

Cure 1. A set of 400Rs cure my problems
Yes I do my best thinking around 3am Sam then I have to read to go to sleep

That would be great if I found a significant amount of water in that ballast tank!
Old 11-01-2016, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hey David, the seats are actually much more comfortable in the rough, as they are layed back at a lot greater angle than the standard Skater seats - which puts less pressure vertically on your back when landing off swells. I also run Tiger Performance Velcro lap belts with them that keeps me and all my passengers secure - nobody has to "hang on" to stay nice and planted in their seats. I too am pulling any/all weight out of the front of my 30. I originally had Pete build a flat floor up under the hatch in my deck - we are removing it now that I'll have outboards. I'm pulling my fire extinguishers out from under the front deck also, as well as removing the large lifting mount that is up under the front hatch. I'm guessing we'll pull 50 #s out from under the deck that will help in our quest for speed with only HALF the hp the boat had before. I don't remember all the changes you made to your transom either, but did you notice the large notch on the back of the new 368 being built for Matt Rice? I'm certain that boat is even lighter than yours, the two 400Rs weigh close to as much as your four 2.5s (with much less transom lift with only two props), yet Pete still put a large notch that looks to run at least 18" forward from the transom. What are you currently running for setback on your 2.5s? I don't think props are going to make a drastic enough change for what you're looking for, as it sounds to me like you're already running the correct props.
Thanks for the info on the seats. Im probably going to go in that direction, who did the upholstery work on them for you?
Im also thinking of eliminating the heavy reinforcement for the twin lifting eyes on the bow (sorry Glassdave)
My 36 has a pretty large set back built in, plus cmc jackplates.

Last edited by davidmercury; 11-01-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by da*****rcury
Thanks for the info on the seats. Im probably going to go in that direction, who did the upholstery work on them for you?
Im also thinking of eliminating the heavy reinforcement for the twin lifting eyes on the bow (sorry Glassdave)
My 36 has a pretty large set back built in, plus cmc jackplates.
Skater did the seats as you see them in the pics.......
Attached Thumbnails 36 Skater Project-skater-2-01-05-005.jpg   36 Skater Project-skater-30-stills-113.jpg   36 Skater Project-skater-30-stills-182.jpg  

Old 11-02-2016, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey David, the front Skater seats weigh 55 #s apiece, and the rear Skater bench is typically around 150#s. That's 250+ #s total. The lightweight Skater seats in my 30 only weigh 27 #s each, for a total of 135#s. And the actual Sparco racecar seats that my lightweight Skater seats are based on are only 15#s apiece - but that's a lot of work and money to save just over 100#s. The best trick I know of right now is going with Li-Ion batteries. I just picked up a pair of Group 34 Li-Ion batteries with 1,000MCA for my 30. They only weigh 17#s each! The batteries Pete is currently putting in the boats with 400Rs weigh 65#s apiece. It was well worth spending $3,000.00 on batteries to save 100#s in my 30 now that it's going to have a couple outboards hanging off the back. And as a general rule of thumb, you'll see about a 1mph gain for every 100#s you lighten up the boat - depending mostly on where you lose the weight out of the boat. If you pull 100#s out from under the bow, you'd probably pick up 2-3mph, if you pull 100#s out near the transom, you probably wouldn't even notice the speed gain. From my understanding of your rig, from what I remember reading in your old posts, you're boat has typically had a tough time carrying the bow to free up and gain top end. If this is the case, I'd do everything I could to make certain the front is as light as possible. No batteries, stereo, amplifiers, speakers, fire extinguishers, etc. mounted forward up under the bow. And I'd make certain everything in the bilge is mounted all the way back at the transom. I believe you're boat is running flat because of all the lift of four props carrying the transom - if I remember correctly?
Dale, I think that the "newer" Skater front seats are lighter than 55# each. If I remember correctly, mine were around 25# to 30# each. The rear is really heavy though. I bet Pete could accurately quantify the weights. Your custom seats are really cool!
Old 11-02-2016, 08:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Taboma
Dale, I think that the "newer" Skater front seats are lighter than 55# each. If I remember correctly, mine were around 25# to 30# each. The rear is really heavy though. I bet Pete could accurately quantify the weights. Your custom seats are really cool!
I'm pretty certain my '07 has the same front seats as yours? I weighed them when they were out of the boat - they were the same 55#s as the seats that were in my '97.
Attached Thumbnails 36 Skater Project-sb7.jpg   36 Skater Project-skater-006.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.