Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
What year did Skater switch fuel tank liner? >

What year did Skater switch fuel tank liner?

Notices

What year did Skater switch fuel tank liner?

Old 06-04-2021, 01:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Guys,
I know this kind of a sensitive subject for some, BUT 1 reply since 5/23/21.... I'm just looking for some input from Skater people who has knowledge about this potential issue.... Called Skater on 5/23/21 and left another message, no return call....

Where is the "Skater Nation"?
Old 06-05-2021, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I've tried to get an answer whether or not the Tanks are layed up with the right resin in my 2007 40 but couldn't get a definite answer. Been using ethanol free 91 mixed with standard 110 to be safe...

Last edited by bigfarmer; 06-05-2021 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by bigfarmer
I've tried to get an answer whether or not the Tanks are layed up with the right resin in my 2007 40 but couldn't get a definite answer. Been using ethanol free 91 mixed with standard 110 to be safe...
Thanks BF for the reply. I've called Skater at least 3 times since we've bought the boat, and leave voicemails and no calls back, frustrating to say the least. We also run 91 Non-ethanol. Ran the Skater to empty last weekend and I'm going to pull the sending units again today and take a fiberglass wire fish tool and see if the sides/bottom of the tanks are solid... I will update with what I find. BTW, obviously I'm no Skater fuel tank expert by any means, BUT to me, your tanks look fine!

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 06-06-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Thanks BF for the reply. I've called Skater at least 3 times since we've bought the boat, and leave voicemails and no calls back, frustrating to say the least. We also run 91 Non-ethanol. Ran the Skater to empty last weekend and I'm going to pull the sending units again today and take a fiberglass wire fish tool and see if the sides/bottom of the tanks are solid... I will update with what I find. BTW, obviously I'm no Skater fuel tank expert by any means, BUT to me, your tanks look fine!
thats the best thing to do! pull the inspection plate off the top of the tanks and scratch around if they are gummy you will know. Before I got the tanks done in my old 32 i use to run non ethanol fuel but i use to empty the tanks and pull the plates at the end of every season to check them. The only reason i ended up getting the tanks done is to make it easier to sell the boat people don't like buying them if the tanks are not done if i was keeping it i wouldn't have worried about it because i was able to get 91 rec fuel at the launch ramp. For the 07 skater that should be the newer resin.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raymo1979
For the 07 skater that should be the newer resin.
Correct. I have a 2007 28 that was in rigging February 2007. It was built using the ethanol resistant Derakane resin. From a conversation with Mr Hledin at that time, Derakane was phased in during 2006. So a boat finished in that time frame may or may not have it depending on the stage of its build.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:56 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

thats the best thing to do! pull the inspection plate off the top of the tanks and scratch around if they are gummy you will know. Before I got the tanks done in my old 32 i use to run non ethanol fuel but i use to empty the tanks and pull the plates at the end of every season to check them. The only reason i ended up getting the tanks done is to make it easier to sell the boat people don't like buying them if the tanks are not done if i was keeping it i wouldn't have worried about it because i was able to get 91 rec fuel at the launch ramp. For the 07 skater that should be the newer resin.
Ray,
Thanks for the input, I didn't get a chance yesterday to pull the tank sending units, and give them the "scratch" test, but I will this week.
Thanks again.
Skater Dean
Old 06-18-2021, 07:29 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Ray,
Did the "scratch test" last night, and there were no soft/gummy areas! I'm good!!!, but I think I've got to test my fuel tanks senders, because both gauges show "E", but it appears that there were at least 1/4 to 1/3 full Rec 90 gas...

Old 06-18-2021, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Ray,
Did the "scratch test" last night, and there were no soft/gummy areas! I'm good!!!, but I think I've got to test my fuel tanks senders, because both gauges show "E", but it appears that there were at least 1/4 to 1/3 full Rec 90 gas...
That's good news.... Did you get a hold of Peter on doing the tanks? If you can get rec 90 i wouldn't worry about it like i said the only reason i did mine in the 32 is because I was selling if I was keeping it i would have saved the 12G's. Take a measurement of the sender then the inside of the tank its not a bad thing they are short its like a reserved you got a little left when the gauge reads empty.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

That's good news.... Did you get a hold of Peter on doing the tanks? If you can get rec 90 i wouldn't worry about it like i said the only reason i did mine in the 32 is because I was selling if I was keeping it i would have saved the 12G's. Take a measurement of the sender then the inside of the tank its not a bad thing they are short its like a reserved you got a little left when the gauge reads empty.
Ray,
Here another pic, and they are definitely solid, and I've talked to a few people, who said the same as you, as long I keep using 90 Rec gas, I really don't need to get the tanks done, and I have Rec 90-93 all around me here in Central East coast Fl.. In fact, I run Rec 90 or 93 in all the boats, and the Viper..... Plus I want upgrade the engines/drives this winter, rather spend the 12G + on that.
Thanks for all your input. Have a great weekend.
Skater Dean

Old 07-17-2021, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

It is the ethanol that dissolves the resin. If you always use ethanol-free fuel, you have nothing to worry about.