Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
What year did Skater switch fuel tank liner? >

What year did Skater switch fuel tank liner?

Notices

What year did Skater switch fuel tank liner?

Old 08-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What year did Skater switch fuel tank liner?

Ive heard different answers to this question. Short of harassing Peter about a boat that Im not really that interested in, can someone put out a real answer?

Ive heard anything prior to 1989 wont need the tanks redone because they used a different type of resin/epoxy/whathaveya.

Any truth to this or just a seller tryin to get out from under payin for the tank redo?

I read in the classifieds where people say stuff like "zero fuel tank issues that Ive seen" or "fuel tanks are in great shape", etc.

Without cutting the floor out and doing a moisture test on the side of the tank, how in the world would you know if your tanks were good?
Old 08-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222
Ive heard different answers to this question. Short of harassing Peter about a boat that Im not really that interested in, can someone put out a real answer?

Ive heard anything prior to 1989 wont need the tanks redone because they used a different type of resin/epoxy/whathaveya.

Any truth to this or just a seller tryin to get out from under payin for the tank redo?

I read in the classifieds where people say stuff like "zero fuel tank issues that Ive seen" or "fuel tanks are in great shape", etc.

Without cutting the floor out and doing a moisture test on the side of the tank, how in the world would you know if your tanks were good?
The easiest way to tell if your fuel tanks are comming apart is cut your fuel filters apart and look for small (Finger nail size, amber in color) pieces. This is the resin comming from the bottom of the tank.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Banned

you dont need to cut the filters apart BIG Daddy if theres a problem you'll know it as soon as you spin them off .they will be caught in the top of the filter . good luck
Old 08-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

When I got my boat I spoke with Peter and he told me they switched resins in 2006. Not sure about how old of a boat you can have where they are unaffected. He told me you can also pull the inspection plate on the top and scrap the walls. If it is gummy you will issues. Tank damage also depends on what fuels they have been running.
If you are serious about buying a boat just call him and give the hull number. He will be more thAn happy to help.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Registered

Ive talked to him on a couple of different boats, this is more of just a general skater knowledge question...
Old 08-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
you dont need to cut the filters apart BIG Daddy if theres a problem you'll know it as soon as you spin them off .they will be caught in the top of the filter . good luck
Really? On 2 different Motions I have owned I had fuel tank issues and it did not show up till I cut the filters apart. I was running the boat and was trying to find out why the fuel pressure gauge was fluctuating.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Maritime_Eng
Really? On 2 different Motions I have owned I had fuel tank issues and it did not show up till I cut the filters apart. I was running the boat and was trying to find out why the fuel pressure gauge was fluctuating.
there you have it u did'nt even have to take the filter off and a flag should of gone off with the fuel pressure issue
Old 08-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
When I got my boat I spoke with Peter and he told me they switched resins in 2006. Not sure about how old of a boat you can have where they are unaffected. He told me you can also pull the inspection plate on the top and scrap the walls. If it is gummy you will issues. Tank damage also depends on what fuels they have been running.
If you are serious about buying a boat just call him and give the hull number. He will be more thAn happy to help.
This is correct. However be sure that the boat Layup was STARTED in 2006 and beyond, because sometimes a boat may have been started before 06 and not finished for 1-2 years.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone dropped in an ATL (or similar) fuel cell instead of having their tanks redone? It seems like an easier task.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
I thought it was close to 2004, but like you said, if you have a hull in question, call DMC with the HIN.

Originally Posted by LostinBoston
Has anyone dropped in an ATL (or similar) fuel cell instead of having their tanks redone? It seems like an easier task.
With the way the 'tanks' are really baffeled compartments in each sponson, I am not sure you could drop one in, without extensive cutting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.