Notices

Skater Sales Decorum??!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TOASTY
Skater / performance boat sales decorum

As most of you may be aware, I am selling a 46 Skater race boat with all the bells and whistles. This came to mind after many e mails, and texts by random people.

I think OSO has a great deal of power, and I would like to yield to those who may know more then I when it comes to selling a race / performance boat

What do some people do when they receive a message asking for additional information and picks, but don't provide their personal info i.e name phone #? I have always obliged and upon the end of my e mail or message I would incorporate my full name along with phone number.

So this weekend I received a message from an OSO board member who I still don’t know (i know the e mail, but not name or #), I sent along pictures per this persons request and price information. I was then met with a reply that stated from what this person heard, the price that I provided was not the price that was going around the rumor mill – still with no name or phone number to contact the “interested” party. I replied by stating that we are open to offers, I actually mentioned that from the very beginning, and continued to state in a more kinder manner, I thought- you must not be that serious as you would have given me the rumor number, your name, or a phone number where you can be reached.

I know there are tire kickers, but for a 46 Skater?? Com on is this our friend Sam?

Are buyers really this crazy, are they this for real? Is it me?
I am interested in hearing your thoughts, maybe I am thinking about this wrong.
Most people out their are just " tire kickers ", unfortunately you don't usually know it until after you wasted your time already. I know it is very difficult to sell stuff these days, but you're not in the same situation as most people. You have sort of a unique item and you really don't have to kiss the asses of potential buyers. If your boat is quality, they will come to you, they are obviously looking for something a little wild and crazy. Don't waste your time chatting with someone who just wants to talk boats with someone. I always feel bad for the salesmen that have to work boat shows. All those people just wanting to talk about boats with no intention of buying what-so-ever.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a great point. Even though its a unique boat, It still remains a tough sale because of non merc power, large power with 6s lid, everything that it has that makes it great, can cause many to not like it. Was told many times to cut the canopy. Cutting the canopy is very costly, and some of our target market want a canopy. The boat will sell for market value.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Market value, isnt that what someone will pay for it ?

Thats what I sold my 40 for.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:05 PM
CMC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The internet can be a very useful tool, and there are many ways to get your, "Message out". But what I have found everytime is this, unless you have an old fashion phone conversation with the potential customer....you can't take anyone too serious by just trading emails.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes yahoo, that is what i was referring to. WHat we are asking and what we may get could be potentially two different numbers therefore it will sell for what the market will bare. And we will have to live with that.

I agree CMC and thats what i was hoping for from the interested party, but a lot of people like to talk the walk so to speak