24 Insurance

Notices

24 Insurance

Old 06-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,145 Likes on 310 Posts
Default 24 Insurance

A friend of mine has an 86 24 with 2.5s on it and hes having a real hard time getting it insured. I see plenty of them with 300s, where are you guys insuring them?
Thanks
Old 06-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Stacey at Wakezone Insurance. She was the only one that had a carrier that could write a 24 with 300's. I have mine through a local farm bureau now and they don't normally do boats but since I moved all of my other vehicles and home to them, they got it done.. She is also VERY familiar with the 24 insurance issues and can help get things goin. I had one insurance guy ask me if I planned on "using both motors at the same time"... sigh.. Those kind of questions scare me. I can't imagine they'd pay up if there ever was a claim (without a bloody courtroom battle!)

I can't remember exactly what she quoted but I think it was around $3k/year.

Last edited by waterboy222; 06-12-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

State Farm insured my 32 Skater with outboards. I have heard after a couple of weeks a few people were cancelled once the policy was reviewed, but not so in my case. Premium is $700.00 per year.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sea2jet
State Farm insured my 32 Skater with outboards. I have heard after a couple of weeks a few people were cancelled once the policy was reviewed, but not so in my case. Premium is $700.00 per year.
State Farm dropped me like a hot potato 2 months after purchasing.. Perfect driving history, no claims in 9 years and no reason to review.. But they are going through and cutting all Skater from their line.

I'd start shopping soon! Your letter is probably in the mail.

After speaking with a rep, they said that half of the boats were insured as "Skater" and the other half were insured as "Douglas Marine Corp" so depending on how you have it titled/insured you may have awhile before they cut you.

Last edited by waterboy222; 06-12-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Thanks for the responses guys! Ill pass em on
Old 06-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Registered

Just because I had a little extra time this morning waiting on a webinar to start, I called a few of the local insurance agents just to see if by chance anyone could insure a 24.. Here's what I found.

Shelter Insurance: Quoted $55/year liability and said they could bind with a credit card number. 45 minutes later they called back saying it kicked them out, even though they state they don't have limits on HP, Speed, hull value or length.

State Farm: Denied, Skater and Douglas Marine Corp both black listed

Geico: No High Performance Cats. All cat's blacklisted.

Progressive: Nothing over 75mph, no matter what.

Farmers Insurance: Quoted $400/year liability. Gave them a credit card number and they said I was bound. Just got an e-mail saying my policy was declined about 5 minutes ago and to please call customer service.

United Marine Online: As soon as you type in "100" in the speed category, it pops up a window saying "due to the top speed, please call customer service". Ran out of time so I never called them.

Allstate: $3012/year. Will not offer liability only. Also a $5000 deductible on a $30k hull value

AAA: No high performance boats. They have a list of what they consider high performance brands.

Just giving everyone an idea of why they say to go to Wakezone.. It'll save you a lot of headache..

Last edited by waterboy222; 06-13-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called Stacey at Wake Zone first for my Skater and she referred me to Merkel. Professional driving course required and 2800.00 per year.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Im hoping 10 years of Offshore Racing Experience (in 24 and 32 Skaters) will help him out
Old 06-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222
Just because I had a little extra time this morning waiting on a webinar to start, I called a few of the local insurance agents just to see if by chance anyone could insure a 24.. Here's what I found.

Shelter Insurance: Quoted $55/year liability and said they could bind with a credit card number. 45 minutes later they called back saying it kicked them out, even though they state they don't have limits on HP, Speed, hull value or length.

State Farm: Denied, Skater and Douglas Marine Corp both black listed

Geico: No High Performance Cats. All cat's blacklisted.

Progressive: Nothing over 75mph, no matter what.

Farmers Insurance: Quoted $400/year liability. Gave them a credit card number and they said I was bound. Just got an e-mail saying my policy was declined about 5 minutes ago and to please call customer service.

United Marine Online: As soon as you type in "100" in the speed category, it pops up a window saying "due to the top speed, please call customer service". Ran out of time so I never called them.

Allstate: $3012/year. Will not offer liability only. Also a $5000 deductible on a $30k hull value

AAA: No high performance boats. They have a list of what they consider high performance brands.

Just giving everyone an idea of why they say to go to Wakezone.. It'll save you a lot of headache..
progressive insures all my boats... and two do well over 75....SHHHHHHHHHHHH "Douglas Marine" may have them still fooled tho
Old 06-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LAriverratt
progressive insures all my boats... and two do well over 75....SHHHHHHHHHHHH "Douglas Marine" may have them still fooled tho
Are either of them cats? That's where it gets sticky.. about the 6th or 7th question they ask is V or Cat and when you say Cat, they shut you down if its over 75.. It'd be cheaper to just insure two vhulls and say you glued them together!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.